Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jazzebell Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2013, 02:39 PM
    Sole Legal Custody
    I want to get my seven year old son a passport however, his biological dad name is on the birth certificate and he's not in our son's life. In addition, my son haven't seen or heard from him in a year. We have never been married. What are the steps in Broward County to get sole legal custody.
    sgb1970 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2013, 02:46 PM
    I went through a similar situation with a passport. I was living in a foreign country at the time and the father refused to sign for the passport. I was able to get it eventually without his signature since my daughter was a US citizen in a foreign country with no passport. I had to get a lawyer and write a sworn affidavit to the US Department of State. You will obviously have to go to court to get sole legal custody (have the father served, etc.). One piece of advice: Be sure the court order specifically states you can obtain a passport and travel outside the country without the other parent's consent. Otherwise, you'll have an issue every time you try to do so.
    Jazzebell Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2013, 02:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sgb1970 View Post
    I went through a similar situation with a passport. I was living in a foreign country at the time and the father refused to sign for the passport. I was able to get it eventually without his signature since my daughter was a US citizen in a foreign country with no passport. I had to get a lawyer and write a sworn affidavit to the US Deparment of State. You will obviously have to go to court to get sole legal custody (have the father served, etc.). One piece of advice: Be sure the court order specifically states you can obtain a passport and travel outside the country without the other parent's consent. Otherwise, you'll have an issue every time you try to do so.
    Thank you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 19, 2013, 02:57 PM
    You need to file a petition in your local Family court for sole legal custody. You will need to show that you have, at least, made a good faith attempt to serve the father.

I would suggest retaining an attorney to do this for you to make sure its done right,
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 19, 2013, 03:21 PM
    Even with sole legal custody you still may need the fathers permission to leave the country with the child. Be aware that if you don't you could face serious charges.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I get sole legal custody of my child? [ 2 Answers ]

I need to obtain sole legal custody of my daughter in order to get her passport renewed as my ex-husband lives in England and is too sick to be able to do the required documentation. He will not challenge the process but I need to know where to start.

Sole legal and sole physical custody rights? [ 8 Answers ]

I was granted sole legal and sole physical custody over my son and my ex husband was granted reasonable and seasonable visitation... what exactly does that mean? There is no actual written visitation schedule in our paperwork. I have followed the norm of every other weekend with some holidays,...

Can I get sole legal custody ? [ 1 Answers ]

Well, I have my two daughter that live with me full time, and I live in scranton pa and their mother live in hamburg pa which is 2 hours away from me. Their mother doesn't come to any teacher meeting, dr appointment, sometime doesn't even call her kids. We share join custody, which she gets them...

Sole legal custody and primary physical custody? [ 9 Answers ]

My daughter has sole legal custody and primary physical custody of her son in the state of Az. And that is exactly how it is stated in the divorce decree. Does she need permission from the father to travel out of the country on vacation or does she just need to tell him?

Moving out of state with sole legal and sole physical custody (California) [ 3 Answers ]

I am currently residing in California and currently have sole legal and physical custody of my ex's and I's 2 children. He, unfortunately, and not to bash, is a very bad alcoholic and even going to court this month for drunk in public and disorderly conduct (again). My current husband and I are...

View more questions Search