Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cmiller25 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2006, 06:30 PM
    Parental rights question in NY state
    I have been with my husband for 7 years. About 3 weeks before we got together a girl he dated apparently got pregnant. Anyway to make a really long story short, she just filed for child support and a paternity test. (Mind you she denied this child could even possibly be my husbands.) Well we found out that this child is his and know we're trying to come to terms with it. We have 2 little girls and another on the way right now. He wants nothing to do with this child. So, my question would be does anyone know if he can give up his parental rights. We both understand he is finacially responsible for this child, which paying child support isn't a big deal. But we don't want visitation or anything else. Can he sign over parental rights? (Sorry for my really bad spelling too):(
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 27, 2006, 08:03 PM
    Then just don't ask for any and don't visit if the judge even rules he is allowed, Remember "rights" only mean you are allowed if you want to, it does not make you have anything to do with the child. You can do it formally but why go to the trouble, just don't have any contact.

** I say this because in 10 years his opinon of this may change, or the child may want to find him and have contact.
    cmiller25 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2006, 08:16 PM
    Thank you for taking time to answer my question. The thing is that the mother makes everything very difficult. And we're hoping that it may detour her if she realizes that we mean business and want nothing to do with this child or her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

How do I relinquish my parental rights as a father. My ex-wife has full custody and will not allow me near her or my child.

Parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

Here's my problem. Im 36 weeks pregnant and the father of the baby doesn't want anything to do with the baby. He wanted me to get an abortion and has said a bunch of stuff like he would pay support but he doesn't want to see or have anything to do with the baby. Then he said later that he wasn't...

Question about a father who wants to sign over his parental rights [ 11 Answers ]

I have a question about a fathers parental rights. Can a father request to the state to sign over his parental rights? I have a friend of mine that has a child that he has never seen - and lives in California while he lives here in Minnesota and pays child support. The mother refuses to allow...

Parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

I am a single mother. I have a three year old daughter. Her father has never had anything to do with her and has never saw her. We had a DNA test a couple of months before she turned three, in which he scheduled a different appointment so he would not see her. He tells me he does not ever want to...

Parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

I guess I didn't give enough information.my children are in Missouri.I am 38 and by now I should have ny life figured out but I don't. The reason my mother wants me to give up my rights is the fact that she has had them for the past 10 years. I gave her guardianship of them when they were 3&4 they...

View more questions Search