Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    baybgirl1993 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2011, 07:52 AM
    Grandmother chain smokes cannabis - are her children and grandchildren in danger?
    My ex-partners mother smokes around 30 cannbis joints a day. She has 4 children under 5 and I am worried about their welfare. She chooses to buy her drugs instead of things for them. Also,I am worried when my partner takes our son to see her - she is a bad role-model for him. Should I report her to social services or am I overreacting? And should I stop my son seeing her?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 7, 2011, 08:07 AM
    Take any concerns you have about your son and where your ex takes him back to Family Court.
    Your worries about his mother and her children need to be left to him and his relatives.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Mar 7, 2011, 08:28 AM

Call the police. Report her for illegal drug use.

Then call social services and report your concerns for her children.

THEN you may have to go back to court to modify the visitation agreement so that your ex cannot take your child to see his mother.
    current pert

Mar 7, 2011, 09:32 AM
    Have you been there to count these 30 joints a day? Do you know if it was or was not prescribed?
    I don't think this is DIRECTLY OP's concern other than to keep her son from the home if that is what she wants.
    southamerica Posts: 667, Reputation: 400

Mar 7, 2011, 09:41 AM

It's hard to advise what to do in this situation. As joypulv points out, it could be occurring in a legal state. The grandmother might have a disease or other ailment that requires medicinal marijuana and she has a prescription.

As Synnen points out, it could be illegal, the grandmother may have an illegal addiction that should be reported to the authorities.

Either way, we need more info from the OP. But, if you're really concerned, why not report it to the authorities (whichever entity is most appropriate)? If the grandmother has a prescription and is legally allowed to smoke, then the authorities will figure that out. Likewise if it's illegal and the grandmother is putting her family in danger.

I would just advise that you're careful not to act hastily and damage relations between the two families for the sake of your child. Best of luck to you.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2011, 09:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by baybgirl1993 View Post
    [CENTER]My ex-partners mother smokes around 30 cannbis joints a day. She has 4 children under 5 and I am worried about their welfare.
    Hello b:

She may not be a very good mother, but it's not because she smokes pot. Having her children split up, put in foster care, and her being prosecuted are FARRRR worse than smoking pot.

Were you SOOO adamant about not having your son visit when your ex WASN'T your ex? I'll bet it didn't bother you so much then. Certainly, grandma just didn't start toking up. Like MOST people who ask questions like yours, you have ULTERIOR motives.

excon
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Mar 7, 2011, 10:31 AM

I would just like to point out that 30 joints a day is EXCESSIVE. That's a LOT of pot.

Anyone smoking THAT MUCH under a medical marijuana prescription is probably in end-stage cancer and about to die any day.

I sincerely doubt this is the case.

I am a member of NORML. BUT--I don't think that people should use pot excessively around children any more than I think people should DRINK excessively around children.

I stand by my LEGAL answer.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2011, 10:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    joypulv does not find this helpful : Medical pot is allowed in 14 states and DC. Dozens more are considering it. It has been decriminalized in several more. And OP, as far as I can tell, hasn't been there to count 30 joints.
    I invite you to read the site rules pertaining to when you are allowed to gave a not helpful to anyone.

Site rules state only inaccurate information is allowed for a reddie... not opinion. And your Reddie was factually inaccurate and based on opinion.

Incidentally, Federal Law supercedes any State or Local stoner law and can NOT be ignored. You can STILL end up in a Federal Prison for use and Possession... or even longer for distributing or intent to distribute.
    current pert

Mar 7, 2011, 10:42 AM
    I replied a while ago again and it disappeared? I know I saw it.
    My response was to a SIMPLE question about 'Is this legal' and now that sentence is GONE from the original post.
    What is going on here?
    Extremely upsetting after being negged by califdad.
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2011, 10:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I replied a while ago again and it disappeared? I know I saw it.
    My response was to a SIMPLE question about 'Is this legal' and now that sentence is GONE from the original post.
    What is going on here?
    Extremely upsetting after being negged by califdad.
    Smoking POT is Illegal under every Federal Statute that exists. And Federal Statutes supercede ANY local or State law when there is a conflict. And the Federal law can be and is inforced even if some stomers try to pass a local law allowing it.

That's reality... thats a fact.

And smoking Pot around the kids SHOULD be reported to the Authorities... Specifically the Feds... I would do it in that situation. It's a situation the Kids should never be exposed to. And having known countless stoners in my life personally. With heavy usage (even a tiny fraction of that number), there WILL be neglect taking place.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 7, 2011, 10:48 AM

Any pot smoking is excessive, from a legal point of view (unless medically prescribed, in some places); but it does seem that 30/day is extremely abnormal. The direct harm to the children would include second-hand smoke. Tobacco, cannabus, they are all bad, health-wise, from that perspective.
    current pert

Mar 7, 2011, 10:50 AM
    Comment on joypulv's post

I know the federal law. My comment that was negged was as accurate as Synnen's.
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2011, 10:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    Comment on joypulv's post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know the federal law. My comment that was negged was as accurate as Synnen's.
    I wholely disagree... NO local statute ever pre-empts a federal statute. ANd Federal Law on illegal drugs is very clear on the topic. And Pot is illegal under federal law.

Argue it otherwise in a federal court and you will lose every time.
    current pert

Mar 7, 2011, 11:03 AM
    Why are people assuming that OP is reporting the facts?
    I don't like the idea of calling the cops on this mother.
    I know marijuana law.
    I stand by my opinion that dealing with the 'crime' itself is for the ex partner to deal with in regards to HIS mother.

I have twice in my life been charged with something I didn't do.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Mar 7, 2011, 11:11 AM

Babygirl, more background would be helpful.

Would you please supply enough of your location to know whose legal system has jurisdiction?

How old is your child?

Is there a current court order for visitation?

Are these her children or other people's children she has taken in?

Is there anyone else in the home who helps her take care of these children? Is she the primary or only caregiver?

Have you talked to your ex about your concerns? Is this a 'recent' issue or one that has been on going?

I have to wonder if she is sober enough to take care of four children under five years of age. Legal or not, medical or not isn't much of a defense when it comes to neglect, child endangerment, etc. A person who is high is just as dangerous as person who is drunk when it comes to the welfare of children.
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2011, 11:46 AM
    I don't like the idea of calling the cops on this mother.
    I know marijuana law.
    I stand by my opinion that dealing with the 'crime' itself is for the ex partner to deal with in regards to HIS mother.

I have twice in my life been charged with something I didn't do.
    If you "KNOW" the Mariguanna law... then you "KNOW" that's its illegal under Federal law, which applies everyplace, regardless of what some localities might want to think.

And the fact is a Stoner , particularly one who smokes a couple joints a day ISN'T in any position to be taking care of children... much less someone that's stoned out of their mind... and anything approaching a fraction of 30 a day will do it. And today's pot is far stronger than the pot of 30 years ago was on top of that.

If they drank 30 beers a day (heck even 12)... would that be OK... what about a Fifth of Vodka... or Whiskey? What if they were on Meth... or Heroin... what about crack?

Or do you want to wait until the lives of those kids are irreversibly damaged... or someone ends up in a hospital or the morgue? What point does "acceptible" become 'unacceptible" when mood altering substances are involved.
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2011, 04:34 PM

smoothy finds this helpful: 30 a day is horrific for cigarettes... much less illegal drugs. Being they are also unfiltered... I see lung cancer in their immediate future.
    Hello smoothy:

Certainly, if marijuana killed people, I'd think like you. However, not one single person has ever died from smoking pot - NOT ONE.

If you choose to make legal pronouncements about the people who use it, you SHOULD know the health risks. You don't.

Excon
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 7, 2011, 04:39 PM
    I just want to address this part Joy.

We can only give answers based on what the OP tells us.

We have to base our responses on the info provided. You may not believe it, you may think the OP is stretching the truth or fabricating things completely, but that doesn't mean you can give advice contrary to what was posted.

The OP stated the grandmother smokes 30 joints a day. Unless the OP comes back and says that it's far less then that, that's the info everyone posting here has to go by.

If the OP is lying and she follows the advice given here, advice based on what she told us, then she will be the one to suffer the consequences. We have to assume that the OP is giving us the exact facts so that she can get the most accurate legal advice available.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 7, 2011, 04:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello smoothy:

Certainly, if marijuana killed people, I'd think like you. However, not one single person has ever died from smoking pot - NOT ONE.

If you choose to make legal pronouncements about the people who use it, you SHOULD know the health risks. You don't.

excon
    I do agree that marijuana isn't as bad as people think, but I don't agree that people that smoke pot should be allowed to do so in front of their children.

It's not a responsible thing to do. Heck, I've gotten high just being in a room with people that were smoking pot even though I never took a drag . Can you imagine young children being subjected to 30 joints a day?

It's almost like having a beer and giving some to your child. It's not acceptable.
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2011, 04:44 PM

Hello again:

30 joints is a lot. How many are OK? What's the minimum she can smoke before she gets ratted on?

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Quitting cannabis [ 8 Answers ]

I have been a cannabis user off and on for the last 15years. If I'm honest more on than off. For probably the last 3 years I have smoked cannabis every evening. I never smoke during the day only in the evenings. For a long time now I have wanted to quit and wake every morning feeling groggy but...

My grandmother has a large estate which she left to her two children. The Will states [ 3 Answers ]

My grandmother has a large estate which she left to her two children. The Will states the following "I direct that all my residuary estate be divided into as many equal shares as there are children of mine then living and then deceased by living descendants then living and I leave one share to each...

Father in trouble, danger to my children [ 1 Answers ]

My ex-husband has been in trouble recently for making meth. In his home and around my children. He has been out of jail for about 2 months now and has had no contact with my children. He hasn't tried calling or seeing them, I am trying for sole custody now, how long do I have to wait to file...

How do I get rid of cannabis? [ 3 Answers ]

How long will it take to get cannabis out of my body? I don't smoke it much, once every couple of weeks, but I have to have a drugs test for a job how can I get it out of my system more quick?

I think my step children are in danger [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Oklahoma. My husband and his ex wife have joint custody of their two children 3 and 6 years old. The children are starting to have bruises on their backs and bottoms. The 6 year old says that she doesn't know where she got them from but my husband and I suspect the mother is taking her...

View more questions Search