Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Gone Fishing's Avatar
    Gone Fishing Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jul 1, 2008, 12:45 PM
    Right to enter the home?
    My mother is the sole owner of the home (the house is under her name ONLY) and, although she and my father are married on paper, neither one of them has lived in the presence of the other for over 19 years. My question is if my mother refuses to let my father into the house, does my father have a right to enter/stay in this house by virtue of being married to her? I'm in the state of Maryland. Thanks in advance to any and all responses.
    michealb's Avatar
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129
    Full Member

    Jul 1, 2008, 01:13 PM
    No, you have to live at a property to be able to enter the property. He could try to make the case to the police officer's but generally you have to live at a property to enter it without someone else's permission and if your mother is there saying he isn't welcome the officer isn't going to let him stay. Even as a landlord I can't enter the house without permission from the tenant that lives there.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692

    Jul 1, 2008, 02:58 PM
    I am not sure about Maryland, but in many states, yes, as long as they are married and there has never been a formal legal separation filed, the husband has legal rights to enter the home of his wife,

    We had a serious case of this in TN and the police were even later sued for false arrest for arresting him for breaking into the trailer.
    michealb's Avatar
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129
    Full Member

    Jul 1, 2008, 03:20 PM
    You don't think it would be handled like a landlord tenant case, where the person that lives there has the right to say who can be there? Dealing with those it would seem very obvious that he wouldn't be allowed in since he doesn't own the property or live there.

    I suppose the OP could call the local police station NON-emergency line and ask what they think.

    I still don't think that the police would let him stay if the mother was there saying he doesn't live here and to get him out.
    joypulv's Avatar
    joypulv Posts: 21,592, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

    Nov 13, 2012, 09:10 AM
    I ran across this old thread just now and am curious what others think.
    cdad's Avatar
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

    Nov 13, 2012, 11:28 AM
    He can enter the property so long as there is nothing stating he cant.

    "What is "marital property"?

    Marital property is: (a) Real property held as tenants by the entirety, unless excluded by valid agreement. (b) Any property acquired by 1 or both parties during marriage, and does not include any property (1) acquired before the marriage, (2) acquired by inheritance or gift from a third party, (3) excluded by valid agreement, or (4) directly traceable to any of these sources.


    Maryland Marital Property FAQs |
    AK lawyer's Avatar
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977

    Nov 13, 2012, 12:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3;
    He can enter the property so long as there is nothing stating he cant.

    "What is "marital property"?
    The mere fact that it is considered "marital property" does not give him the right to occupy it. If the police come to the door attemping to put him into the home, she should tell them no, and to come back if and when they have a court order.

    And then shut the door.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I enter information from 1098-T? [ 1 Answers ]

Where on my tax form would I file Box 5 from my 1098-T? I used Taxcut and entered the amount from box 2 but I do not know where to enter box 5. It will not let me enter under scholarships because it does not equal Box 2? YIKES!! >Moved from Forum Help<

Box 14 - Sec125. Should I enter tax return? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have an entry in Box 14 on my W2 for Sec125. I think it is Health Insurance for my spouse which I added in March 2007. I am however not sure if I should add that while filing my returns? How will that affect my total refund? I am using Taxact online filing and have an entry for Box...

Can he actually enter too deep? [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been having sex for about a month now. He has an average size penis and the sex is amazing. But afterward I always get a pressure feeling in my abdomen. Could he be thrusting too hard and going too deep into my vagina?

View more questions Search