Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    DijahK's Avatar
    DijahK Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Nov 3, 2010, 01:05 PM
    Question About Child Support Review
    I recently requested a review of my child support case and was told that it was closed due to the father not turning in his required information. He lives in Canada and I live in Michigan. I was always under the impression that a review was supposed to happen every 3 years. My son in now 6 and there has never been a review until my request. I only receive $110/mo. In child support which is by no means sufficient to care for a growing child. Since he recently moved out of the country, is there any way to get the ball rolling again on a modification of support WITHOUT his information being turned in? (He's had many good jobs and never an increase in support. My son needs more than socks and underwear!) I turned in his work place information and what-not so I don't understand what the problem is. Please help.
    s_cianci's Avatar
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

    Nov 4, 2010, 08:33 AM

    You can always request a review (which involves you investing the time and expense to file the appropriate motion with the court) but understand that, in order to actually get the support order modified, you need to show a "change in circumstance" that would justify such a modification. To simply say that what you're now receiving "isn't enough" won't cut it. Does the father now earn substantially more than when the order was first established? Did he recently win the lottery? An increase in his means to pay more would constitue a change in circumstance and this is what you'd have to prove in order to modify the order.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support (NY) question [ 8 Answers ]

Can my ex make my 18-year-old son (who is in college) pay rent for housing and still collect child support?

Child support question [ 4 Answers ]

I was always curious. The judge tells the husband he must pay $700.00 a Month in child support. Can he demand the wife keep an itemized list Of things she purchased on the child's behalf. He claims the wife is using his support money on herself?

Child Support Question [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Texas. My daughter's father took a job in Iraq for a very large pay increase last February. I have contacted the local child support agency but they say they can only modify the order if he is back in the states for at least 6 months. This won't happen for a long time. He comes back...

Another modification to child support question [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, After proposing mediation for a more structured visitation order, my ex-husband (Respondent)decided to get an attorney. I did pro-per (Petitioner) because it wasn't such a big issue to me, I just wanted something in writing instead of the assumptions as to who it was that had a weekend with my...

Child support and debt question [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there I used to live in the UK, but now am resident here in the states. When my ex husband and I divorced there were debts left from the marriage. Over here I am trying to pay them but alas about a year behind payment schedules which I shall be changing soon hopefully. One question is Will non...

View more questions Search