My ex-husband's 401k plan requires a QRDO (Qualified Domestic Relations Order). We have settled on an amount and it is part of the divorce agreement. I am told that completing a QRDO is too difficult and an attorney is needed.

Considering that my ex-husband and I have agreed upon the amount, are amicable, and just want to file the appropriate paperwork is the expense of an attorney really necessary? If not, would someone please help me locate a sample QRDO and procedures for filing one in NC?

Thanks in advance for your help!