Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    alexias_mommy's Avatar
    alexias_mommy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 30, 2008, 11:33 AM
    Is it possible to file abandonment against my daughters father?
    My daughter is going to be 4 in a few months and her father has been in and out of her life. The thing is I have his phone number and I know where he lives but I have tried to call him and text him and he won't return my calls or texts. I know he gets them because he tells his ex of his 3 month old baby that I called him and she tells me. I refuse to take her to his house because of the fact that he won't call me and because I am pretty positive that he is selling drugs. I don't know if he has them in his house or not but I am not willing enough to take the chance. He barely ever shows for his visitation. The last time was in September and before that I think it was in like June or July. I know that it bothers her because if you say something about her dad she will tell you that she doesn't like him. He thinks that I put that into her head but she is a very smart little girl and she comes up with her own opinions. He did see her on Christmas because I chose to take her over to his mothers house. He did not have a lot of contact with her and he has not talked to her or me since. I was just wondering if there is anyway possible to file abandonment against him or what I have to wait for before I can because I know it isn't doing her any good having him in and out. So please give me some input. Thank you so much.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Jan 30, 2008, 11:39 AM
    This is a question that has been asked several times. What do you think abandonment will get you? The answer is nothing. A charge of child abandonment is a criminal charge used when someone leaves a child totally alone for a period. Its not when a parent isn't being a part of that child's life.

    I understand the trauma on your daughter that her father wants little or nothing to do with her. You have to deal with that by explaining to her that her father is being a stupid and selfish person for not wanting to spend time with such a great kid as she is.

    But there is no such thing as filing for abandonment in your situation.
    macksmom's Avatar
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

    Jan 30, 2008, 02:01 PM
    The only reason you would want to file abandonment is if you were trying to terminate his rights to allow for an adoption. Other than that, abandonment does nothing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I file for child abandonment and when can I file? [ 15 Answers ]

My daughters father has not seen her for over a year and he just left without telling me he was leaving. I do have a child support order and I have full custody of her. Im just afraid that he will try to take her away from me later in life and I don't want her to go through that because Im with a...

My daughters father left the country [ 1 Answers ]

My daughters father left the country. I do not know when he left the country,the last time she saw him was for 5 minutes 5 days before Christmas, he called to speak to her on new Years Eve and he didn't indicate when or if he was coming back to the United States. We do not have custody...

If my daughters father signs over his parental rights will he still have to pay child [ 6 Answers ]

I had a daughter 2 weeks ago (nov. 21st) her father is denying her and saying that if she is his he is going to sign over all his parental rights.then I'm going to get stuck raising 2 kids with no child support I have heard many different stories about the child support situation... will he still...

Filed a custody pettition, daughters father in arrears with other children. [ 1 Answers ]

MY daughter is 3 yrs old, he bio father has not been in the picture consistently, he used to come by when he needed to borrow money but never spent time with her and once he got his business established he came by ever 2 or 3 months for anywhere b/t 25-55 minutes at at time... she does not know who...

How to I file for sole custody of a child due to father abandonment? [ 1 Answers ]

My child is 1yrs old. His father and I are not married but he was at the birth and legitamized his son and gave him his name. Since the birth of our child, he has not provided any support and he rarely calls. We live in two different states and I have visited him twice for the sole purpose for...

View more questions Search