Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    lesliejean's Avatar
    lesliejean Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Dec 26, 2010, 08:20 AM
    Paying for a child that I do not believe is mine what can I do to stop the payments?
    I have been paying support for a chlid that I do not believe that is mine there was no dna test done what can I do to get the payments to stop and get the money that I have already paid back?
    J_9's Avatar
    J_9 Posts: 40,253, Reputation: 5642

    Dec 26, 2010, 08:21 AM

    A very simple answer to that question...

    Go to court and get a DNA test done.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,272, Reputation: 7690

    Dec 26, 2010, 09:33 AM

    It will depend on where you live, each US state has their own rules. But you had the right at the time of the court order for support, to challenge it in court and ask for a DNA test.

    In some states if you waited too long it may be too late to do anything

    But you will have to go to court and challenge the paternity and ask for a court ordered DNA test.

    You will not get your money back, only get the payments stopped
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,970, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Dec 26, 2010, 11:00 AM

    First, ANY question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area. You left a WHOLE lot out of your post. Information that is needed to advise you of the likelihood of you getting things changed. Like where you are, how old is the child, did a court order support, how long have you been paying support etc.

    If a court ordered support, why wasn't a paternity test done? If you acknowledged paternity, then it may be too late to change it even if you aren't the bio father. That's why we need more info.
    GV70's Avatar
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

    Dec 26, 2010, 12:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lesliejean View Post
    I have been payin support for a chlid that i do not believe that is mine there was no dna test done what can i do to get the payments to stop...
    It depends on the state legislation. If you live in Ohio or Tennessee you will be able to stop to pay child support. If you are in New York or California you will be out of luck.

    Quote Originally Posted by lesliejean View Post
    ...and get the money that i have already paid back?
    No way ! It is against so called Public Policy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I stop automatic child support payments from my check when child lives with me [ 2 Answers ]

I am a non-custodial parent who pays court ordered child support, the custodial parent as well as myself are in the Army I am currently deployed returning in Nov. She will be deploying in July. When I get home obviously my son will be with me because we have Joint legal Custody, how do I stop the...

Will I be paying child support for a child not mine in marrige? [ 2 Answers ]

Can I be force to pay child support through marrige even if the child is not mine?

Paying child support for children that are not mine what if anything can I do? [ 1 Answers ]

I was married to my ex-wife during that time we had two sons. Not long after our yongest son was born I went to prision during which time my ex wife became pregnant. When I got out of prision I filed for a divorce which she fought.( It took over three years for the divorce to come through). She had...

Car isn't mine but I am paying the payments! [ 2 Answers ]

I am driving a car that I am paying for but isn't in my name. I am putting money in his BofA account and now his ex wife wants to take the car away. The car is under his name but I have been paying for the car payment for the last 7 months. What can I do? I was told she was taking the car in the...

View more questions Search