Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Julierose09's Avatar
    Julierose09 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Oct 26, 2013, 12:09 AM
    Parental rights removed
    My husband wants to adopt my daughter. Right now my daughters biological father does not vist her And has not done so for two years. He is also doing drugs and is an illegal immigrant. He will not sign the papers and now he is completely ignoring me. I do not have his contact information other than through Facebook. He will not tell me where he is or give me his phone number. How can I go about getting the rights taken away from him without a lawyer? I know I need to put an ad in the paper or something but I'm lost. Can you help?
    joypulv's Avatar
    joypulv Posts: 21,593, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

    Oct 26, 2013, 02:51 AM
    You can't do this without a lawyer, and it will be a long process without the father's formal agreement, regardless of how absent he has been.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,970, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Oct 26, 2013, 05:31 AM
    What "papers" are you talking about? Have you filed a petition in court already?

    You can't get his rights taken from him separately. However, a court may grant the adoption despite his objections. But I doubt if they will without an attorney preparing the petition properly.

    Posting an ad is just a way of showing a good faith effort to inform him of the adoption petition. But it has to be done right and you need an attorney to make sure it is done right.
    Synnen's Avatar
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443

    Oct 26, 2013, 11:38 AM
    I am astounded by the number of people who think adoption should be done without an attorney. Would you have a bone set without a doctor?

    Do this right, make sure it cannot be undone later, and get an attorney. Fees for stepparent adoption are generally reasonable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can I sign over parental rights to keep from having my rights terminated legally [ 2 Answers ]

I have been falsely accused of child abuse and awaiting my turn in court to prove my innocence. In the meantime the local dhs is trying to terminate my rights and split all of my children up. Can I give my parental rights to a close friend ?I live in Iowa

Dead beat dad rights ? NJ, Child Abadonment, Removing parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

A little background on my situation. I had a child at 17 yrs old with an 18 yr old guy. I left the father when my son was 6 months old due to physical abuse. It was not safe for my child. He has only seen our son a hand full of times since then, and not at all in the past 4 years. I do...

Parental rights of the father after signing over rights in adoption [ 2 Answers ]

My son is nineteen he and his girlfriend hide her pregnancy for six months, during that time they met a couple and decided to put the baby up for adoption. After we found out about the baby they told us that they had started the process of adoption. My son said he had signed over his parental...

What rights does a parent give when they sign over parental rights? [ 2 Answers ]

When I was 16 my mom signed over her parental rights, I am now 23 and have a kid. What rights to her grand kid does she have?

View more questions Search