Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    odim202003's Avatar
    odim202003 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Oct 27, 2013, 09:43 AM
    Non biological father's rights
    My girlfriend and I have been together 5 years. She got pregnant and we had our first child in May. 5 months later, I find out I'm not the biological father. The biological father wants to be in the picture everyday of our baby's life. And he wants to give the baby his last name and wants to take me off the birth certificate. My girlfriend wants to allow it. I'm worried he's taking the first steps to have the option to have custody one day. Do I have any rights in this situation or did I just lose my family?
    Curlyben's Avatar
    Curlyben Posts: 18,465, Reputation: 1857
    Admin & Wine Expert

    Oct 27, 2013, 09:45 AM
    You REALLY need professional help with this one and it WILL be a serious fight, so be prepared.
    cdad's Avatar
    cdad Posts: 12,687, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

    Oct 27, 2013, 10:27 AM
    1) How did you find out that your not the bio father?

    2) Did you sign the birth certificate or aknowlage parenity ?
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,970, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Oct 27, 2013, 11:12 AM
    Basically you have no rights here. If you were married you would have been the presumed father. But even that would not have be enough for such a young child. The bio father needs to go to court to establish paternity, but, depending on local laws, he probably can removed you from the picture.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Signing over parental rights... not the biological father but legal father [ 2 Answers ]

So My husband has been battling his ex to see his daughter for years. We have been in and out of court since she was 3 and she is now 12. No matter what the court order she finds a way to and dodge. We cannot always go back to court for every little thing. She has done and continues to keep her...

Rights of step-father vs biological father upon mothers death. [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know if there is any way in which I can assure that my 7 year old son will remain with my husband if something were to happen to me? Biological father is in military and has paid child support as ordered, he has not made any effort in the last 3 years to contact our son and before...

Terminate Father's Rights (not biological father) [ 3 Answers ]

How can I terminate my exhusband's rights to my 2 year old son? He is not the biological father, he's behind on child support, he's not providing full heath care per our divorce decree, he moved to another state 4 months ago, he has a drug problem and depression problems and has been in rehab 2...

Non-biological father wanting to sign off rights so the biological father [ 15 Answers ]

I was pressured into signing as the father to my now ex girlfriends baby, she's now back with the biological father and we're trying to find out how I can sign the rights over so that the biological father can have rights of his baby. How would we go about signing off my rights, and would anything...

View more questions Search