Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    aleana's Avatar
    aleana Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 24, 2007, 01:27 AM
    New step father wants to adopt child that has no father on birth certificate
    I am a new step father and I wish to adopt my 4 year old step son and my 8 year old step son . The 4 year old does not have a father listed on the birth certificate and the 8 year old does but the bio-father has not made any kind of contact in 5 years but is court ordered to pay child support and has not in four years. And owes almost $30,000 in past and present child support. Is there any way to at least start the process with the 4 yr old he has never in the 4 years of his life had any kind of contact with him and the division of child support can not locate him
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Jan 24, 2007, 07:38 AM
    I would start a petition on both kids as a package. But first make some attempt to contact the bio fathers. You should have a family atty to prepare the papers and they can advise you on how to attempt contact. Advertising in a local paper (local to the bio fathers last known address) is one option. Not having paid.

    The worst that can happen is the adoption would be separated, but the 8 yr old will know you tried.

    With that amount of time, the court may grant the adoption of both.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to adopt my wife's child no father on birthcertificate [ 6 Answers ]

My wife and I have been married since Sep 2000 and were living togeather in March of the same year. She has 2 children by two different fathers. The oldest one's father is in the picture and active in her life. The youngest 8 yrs old now, has never seen her birth father and has lived with me since...

No father listed on birth certificate how can husband adopt [ 15 Answers ]

I live in KS. I don't know who my baby's biological father is, how can my husband adopt? There is no fater listed on the birth certificate. And what if someone later in life were to question if they were the father what would happen then?

Child Support - Father not present for birth [ 5 Answers ]

The father was not present at the birth and did not sign the certificate or Acknowledgement of paternity. I am going to a lawyer about custody and visitation. What rights does the father have and can I still file for support? I'm 100% sure he won't deny paternity.

Step father rights to adopt? [ 6 Answers ]

Me and my partner have been together over two years we have a baby together and I have a son from a previous relationship. My partner James has always looked upon my son as his own and has been there since he was 6 months old. My sons dad doesn't have contact with him as I got fed up of doing all...

View more questions Search