Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    harleygurl's Avatar
    harleygurl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jun 27, 2007, 08:45 AM
    Move away order for custodial parent
    I'am the custodial parent that lives in California needs to ask for a move away order to move to another state for a job transfer. We have joint custody. How do I go about asking the court for a move away order? How far in advance does this need to be done?
    tawnynkids's Avatar
    tawnynkids Posts: 622, Reputation: 111
    Senior Member

    Jun 27, 2007, 12:07 PM
    You need a great lawyer. Chances are unless you can prove that the children will continue to have as much contact with the father as he does now the court will not let you go with the children. It doesn't really matter how far in advance because until you get the courts permission you can't go. The only exception to that is if your current order says nothing about moving the children's residence, which I highly doubt. I live in Cali and have court orders here and that is something that only gets granted on a rare, rare basis. All circumstances must be perfect but the biggest being able to prove the children's quality of life will drastically improve with the move and the relationship with dad will not suffer at all. You absolutely will need a good lawyer because it will be a fight, if even possible, if he doesn't want you to move.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692

    Jun 27, 2007, 12:58 PM
    If the non custodial parent has been part of the child's life and wants to remain part of the child's life, first you may not even get permission to move, And if they are going to fight it, you will need to start 6 months or more at least.

    If you move, you will have to provide for proof that the non custodial parent will not lose any visitition time and that you will pay any and all costs of their visits normally.

    But again if the other parent is very involved in the child's life, don't expect to get permission to move.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grandparent Custodial Rights in Georgia and Virginia [ 2 Answers ]

Do Georgia and Virginia have laws stipulating Grandparent Custodial Rights where there appears to be abuse or negligence concerning the grandchildren? If so, how do I go about finding details of what process is involved? I am the father of the grandchildren's father and live in Georgia; the...

Modifying a Custody Order When Parent Disappears [ 12 Answers ]

I have a young child from a past relationship. I had the child in Texas and a child support/custody order was created before we moved. This order gave me primary physical custody and shared legal custody with the father. I then relocated to Arizona and they are handling my support order. Now I...

Sibling refuses to move from/sell home parent left to all 4 siblings [ 2 Answers ]

My mother passed away 6 years ago and willed the family home to her 4 children equally. Three of us have our own homes but brother, never married, has lived most of his 58 years in that home. He does not want to sell and continues to live there (a duplex, 6 rooms each side). He uses one side for...

To move or not to move - Tub Drain [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, I am installing a 72" soaker tub into a properly roughed in basement bathroom. The soaker tub's drain is not in the traditional spot and is positioned in the middle of the length of the bath. I have a 2" snub up located about 24-30" from where my tub drain will sit. Do I have to cut up...

View more questions Search