Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    ksaucier's Avatar
    ksaucier Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jul 22, 2009, 08:42 PM
    My mother is on drugs and my step father is in jail
    :mad:My mother is on drugs and my step father is in jail. My mother just got of the hospital for having a bad trip on PCP,Cocaine, and Marijuana. Now she has informed me that she wants to come get my little brother who I have had in my custody for a year and half. She has had drug problems and mental problems for years.. I don't know what else to do. I can not legal stop her from coming to pick up. I need to find out how I can get custody of him. I don't have a lot of money.. :confused:
    justcurious55's Avatar
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

    Jul 22, 2009, 09:02 PM

    Well how did you get custody of him in the first place?
    You could call cps. You can point out that you've been taking care of your little brother for a year and a half already and make it known that you would like to continue. I've heard that they prefer to keep children with family members when they can and it's in the best interest of the child.
    Or you can try filing for a guardianship. Again, as long as your financially and emotionally able to continue to support him and you can show that your mother is unfit to care for him I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to get custody of him. And while lawyers are very helpful for that you don't necessarily need one for yourself. When my aunt and uncle filed for guardianship of my brother and me they had their own attorney but the judge ordered (assigned? I don't know the proper term.) a different attorney to represent my brother and me. So that's another option to look into.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,303, Reputation: 7692

    Jul 22, 2009, 09:10 PM

    Well what you NEEDED to have done, when mom droped the child off with you ( assume that is what happened) you needed to go to court and get temp coustody, then she could not just come get the child.

    So you have to decide what you want to do, say no to mom and get an attorney and file for temp custody,

    Have you tried talking to mom about letting them stay with you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adopting step father and natural mother split up before adoption is finalized [ 4 Answers ]

I am wondering... In the State of California about adoption proceedings.. A fathers rights were terminated, ( the 1 year abandonment is what got him, my brother had got in trouble, so the mom knew where to get him mom is only 21 years old, the judge so stated herself, that is not lack of his...

Step-Father Signed both Prenup and Postnup Agreements to Support Step-Child [ 6 Answers ]

My husband signed both a prenuptial and a post-nuptial agreement to educate, maintain and support my children, his step-children. My husband sued me and my children (his step-children) over the agreements several years back but changed his mind and signed a release of all claims, an agreed...

Father abandoned daughter one and a half years ago and step father wants to adopt [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question. My daughters father completely stopped contact with my daughter a year and a half ago. We were separated for eight years, Since then I have remarried and gone on with my life. He suddenly stopped all contact with her a year and a half ago, stopped child support about three...

Adoption from biological Father to Step Father [ 5 Answers ]

Hello: One of my employees has children by her now husband and former husband. Her present husband wants to adopt her two children from her former husband. The biological Father is willing to relinquish his rights. She wants to draw up the papers without an Attorney because of the cost. If...

New step father wants to adopt child that has no father on birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new step father and I wish to adopt my 4 year old step son and my 8 year old step son . The 4 year old does not have a father listed on the birth certificate and the 8 year old does but the bio-father has not made any kind of contact in 5 years but is court ordered to pay child support and...

View more questions Search