Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    gracee41's Avatar
    gracee41 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Aug 7, 2007, 08:30 AM
    Making An Adult Child Move Out
    I am a single mom with a 21 yr old son living in my home. He works part-time (20 hrs wkly) and plays video games and stays on his computer the remainder of the time. He has no interest in going back to school. He turns a deaf ear when approached about it. He is rude to me, has a bad temper, and does almost nothing to help around the house. He only helps when I stay on him constantly. I am extremely tired of the entire situation. I have asked him to move out several times and he refuses. I have been to the JP's Office twice and they refuse to evict him as he is not a tenant. Although he did pay rent for a short time, but I kept no receipts. I've talked to just about every law enforcement official in my county. They all say they can do nothing unless he threatens me and I call them. I can change the locks and put his stuff out when he's gone. However, he would probably break the door down or break a window. Then I would call the police and have to wait for them to arrive. No telling what he would do in that time frame. Is the only way I can remove him is by hiring a lawyer?
    GV70's Avatar
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

    Aug 8, 2007, 02:43 AM
    Legally... you have to go to court and to sue him for rent.After that you have right to kick him out if he does not pay.
    mr.yet's Avatar
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

    Aug 8, 2007, 03:42 AM
    Pack his bags the next time he leave, put them on the step, change the locks he should get the message you are sending.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,305, Reputation: 7692

    Aug 8, 2007, 07:10 AM
    Yep, change the locks, and put his stuff on the porch. If the JP already said he was not a tenant, there is nothing he can do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

SSI benefits and Child Support for Adult Child. [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know if a parent can still be obligated to pay child support to a severely disabled adult child for the life of the child? (even if the child is receiving state benefits) we are in Cali...

Making son & daughter in law move out [ 4 Answers ]

My 24 year old son, his wife & 1 1/2 year old baby have lived with me since Nov. of 2006, they were evicted from their apartment due to none payment of rent and had no where else to go so I (single mother who raised him) took them in. Since that period they have developed severe alcohol abuse...

Indiana laws for making adult children leave your residence. [ 2 Answers ]

My 19 year old step-son moved in with my husband and myself a few months ago. He had a few rules to follow, i.e. no smoking in the house, keeping his job, etc. He did not pay for rent, he did not buy groceries, he didn't pay any household bills, he was out no money except his cologne and gas for...

Making a call what is my best move after no contact! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have not spoken to my girlfriend for three weeks and I was in no contact after bggibg her for a month and sleeping with her on one occasion so I thought I might still be in!! Anyway guess I wasn't! Went no contact an haven't spoke for 3 weeks I was thinking of calling tomorrow night and asking...

View more questions Search