Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    lb1014's Avatar
    lb1014 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jul 6, 2016, 02:42 PM
    Losing custody over convicted felon?
    My boyfriend has previous felony charges for OWI and possession, ranging from 3-5 years ago. None of which is relevant to myself or my child. There are no violence charges or anything pertaining to children. Is there anyway my ex can get sole custody of our 4 year old daughter due to this? He has been harassing me for days over the issue. My boyfriend is not an unsafe individual, there is no issues other then my exs feelings are hurt that I have moved on. He has threatened to call CPS which is fine because passing drug tests, etc. is not an issue. If he takes me back to court and uses this, could he get custody? If anyone has any advice please share. We live in Indiana. Thank you.

    I forgot to mention that her father is paying back child support and has never shown up for all of his visits monthly in 2 years.
    smoothy's Avatar
    smoothy Posts: 25,495, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

    Jul 6, 2016, 03:50 PM
    If he's the father... he's got the right to file for and might even get custody if he can prove to the court he can provide a safer environment for the child than you can. The Boyfriend with the felonies (particularly since they are fairly recent) isn't going to work in your favor. And when it involves child custody, it does become a factor that's taken into consideration by the court, particularly if he lives with you. Its not a sure thing either way.

    He will still owe you the back support even if he succeeds, but he wouldn't owe new support, in fact you might owe him support if that happens. If he does file, hire a lawyer to represent you. You would have a better chance than going in representing yourself. Until he does, it might just be all talk. It won't erase what he currently owes you, and being in arrears isn't going to work in his favor.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,970, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Jul 6, 2016, 06:24 PM
    There is no way to predict what a court will do. My gut felling is that he is unlikely to get sole custody. The fact that he hasn't exercised his court ordered visitation in 2 years is goig to work very much against him. The court is likely to see this as a ploy to get out of paying support.

    But he will be able to take this court and, if he has an attorney you will need to get one too.
    J_9's Avatar
    J_9 Posts: 40,254, Reputation: 5642

    Jul 6, 2016, 07:32 PM
    Courts these days are giving custody to fathers more now than they have in the past. Considering that your boyfriend is a felon, and it involves a drug charge, you are treading on a slippery slope.

    Since your ex owes back support, he would continue to have to pay you until paid current, but there is a risk you would have to start paying as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Custody/ visitation case against convicted felon [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently process of starting a case for child custody and visitation for my 2 year old son. The father abandoned me when I was 8 months pregnant for another women. He on the birth cirtificate but that all. He would rarely come and see my son and he doesn't pay child support although its court...

Can a parent lose custody of their child for moving in with a convicted felon? [ 5 Answers ]

My ex the mother of my 9 mth old son is planning on moving out with a convicted felon. I'm not exactly sure what his charges are but I know one was possession, one was grand theft, and the other was running from the cops. And he was released 4 months ago. I know have every weekend with my son and...

Can a mother who is a convicted felon get custody of her kids back? [ 4 Answers ]

I am a convicted felon for bank fraud. I spent 21 months in federal prison. I have been on probation with no problems. I have 7 months left to go on my probation. I want to get custody back from my ex-husband. My fiancÚ is also a convicted felon (drug charges) 10 years ago. No violence. Do I...

Can my girlfriend lose custody of her child for living with a convicted felon? [ 2 Answers ]

Can my girlfriend lose custody of her child for living with a convicted felon? Let me start by describing my background. I have convicted of failure to re-deliver leased/hire property. What happened was I was engaged two years ago and was renting furniture and other items from a rent to own store,...

Future custody case for convicted felon dad [ 6 Answers ]

Someone I love very much will be released from prison soon. How, What, and Where are the questions I'm asking as far as finding him a good attorney in the state that his ex wife is now located along with his son. Obviously, its got to be in the jurisdiction that his son is in. Which websites are...

View more questions Search