Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    edwardlo63's Avatar
    edwardlo63 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 5, 2017, 01:03 PM
    Legal name change
    My name is Ed Loxxx. I am married. Wife took on name G Lixxx (maternal) Loxxx (paternal). We have a new adult child just turn 18 and was given birth name S Loxxx (paternal). She would like to start using mother maiden name. Normally would be S Lixxx (maternal) Loxxx (paternal). However , she like the way it sounds in different arrangement order. S Loxxx(paternal) Lixxx (maternal) similar to the way they use it in Latin American countries. Does this order of usage require a legal CA court order process?
    tickle's Avatar
    tickle Posts: 23,801, Reputation: 2674

    Apr 5, 2017, 04:03 PM
    As far as I know, it requires a legal change anywhere. Why not consult a lawyer and find out what has to be done. I will explain, but this is Canada. If I were to marry mr. smith, and my maiden name was black, I could have my name shown as Mrs. A. Black-Smith, without a legal change. I think that can be done where you are too, but your daughter wants it re-arranged, and your wife didn't retain her maiden name, hyphenated; so, yes, it requires a legal name change.

    I might suggest though, that since your daughter is still a teen, a legal name change may cost a considerable amount of money, and court dates. Maybe you should you should try to de-sway her from this idea for the time being. At least until she gets used to hearing the sound of her choice on her tongue and others. She may get tired of the idea.

    joypulv's Avatar
    joypulv Posts: 21,593, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

    Apr 5, 2017, 05:08 PM
    In most countries, an adult starts on the 18th birthday.
    It's very easy to change a name in the US. Go to the courthouse (maybe call first or look on the website) and fill out the paperwork and pay a filing fee.
    The judge will want a reason but this is a common one.
    It's pretty much an assembly line, so be prepared to move quickly and write down your explanation.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,304, Reputation: 7692

    Apr 6, 2017, 04:54 PM
    First, she can use and call herself anything she wants. To friends and so on.

    If she wants it changed on drivers license, and so on. Then yes she will need a name change.
    nonelawyer's Avatar
    nonelawyer Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jul 28, 2017, 09:14 AM
    There is no legal requirement to change one's name. Just start using any name you like. However, if you like to change the name on your Driver's License, passport and other IDs, then you can file a Name Change Petition (without any lawyer) in your local court. After fulfilling the simple requirements, court would make the legal name change effective and will issue a name change order. Court clerk will hand this Order to you. At this time when you are receiving the Order from the Clerk, get a couple of extra certified copies from the Clerk at a minimal cost. This way, you have two additional certified copies of the Court Order for the name change and you can send the certified copy for your passport, Driver's license etc. Don't waste any money with the lawyers as the Name Change Form is very simple and can be filed directly by you. There is absolutely no law that requires that you need an attorney to file it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal name change [ 2 Answers ]

Hello My name is Amanda.I have a 4 year son that gots two last name and I want to take one off I want him to just have my last name.His father hasn't seen him in 4 years or try to see him he don't help me I can't even find him. His nowhere to be found.How can I get his father last name off. Please...

Legal name change [ 7 Answers ]

I live in the state of Ohio I had a son out of wedlock 2 1/2 years ago, the biological father did not sign the birth certificate. I have full custodial rights. Although the father still does see him occasionally, He does not pay child support and isn't active in our lives. My son is starting to...

Legal name change [ 1 Answers ]

How can I find out if a person legally changed their last name. It happen about 25 years ago?

Legal Name Change [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I am curious about legally changing my name and was hoping for some info about restrictions, cost, procedure, when and why it would be rejected etc anyone who can help me ;)

Legal name change on deed [ 1 Answers ]

My legal name changed recently, and I need to change it on the deed/title to my property. So there is no transfer of property, I just need to change it from my old name to my new name. How do I do this? I'm in California.

View more questions Search