Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Kimberly66's Avatar
    Kimberly66 Posts: 18, Reputation: 5
    New Member

    Jul 26, 2007, 08:27 AM
    Leaving Abusive Marriage.
    I need to leave my abuser- problem is we live in an apartment in Texas.. both names are on lease but all utilites are in my name... what are my rights. I know I can have utilities shut off but what happens when I leave regarding lease. He will not let me work to pay my debts... I'm moving to Missouri with family and will not be able to afford to fly back to Texas for any problems. I need to prepare for them now. Also, I do not have money to file for divorce- what can I do?
    kaj675's Avatar
    kaj675 Posts: 63, Reputation: 2
    Junior Member

    Jul 26, 2007, 08:34 AM
    I was in the same predicament and there are laws in Texas that protect your rights if you can prove abuse such as police reports, etc. I got out of my lease clear and free.
    kaj675's Avatar
    kaj675 Posts: 63, Reputation: 2
    Junior Member

    Jul 26, 2007, 08:39 AM
    Talked to my best friend who is a legal aid attorney and the worse case scenario the apt will file against both of you and it will end up on your credit for 7yrs for the remainder amount of the lease. He could file civil judgement against you if he's that intelligent to think of that which most men aren't. Still no criminal charges would be filed only civil and it would only go on your credit for 7years. I would whole lot rather deal with bad credit and have a good excuse why then to stay and deal with the abuse. Good luck girl. Get out as quick as you can, it never gets better only worse.

    Divorce, if there is no community property or children involved legal aid can help you with minimal problems. It takes time though to finalize it after it's filed. As long as he signs the paperwork and doesn't contest it it should be very simple.
    Kimberly66's Avatar
    Kimberly66 Posts: 18, Reputation: 5
    New Member

    Jul 26, 2007, 08:59 AM
    Wow- thank you so much for the quick response- I do not have any police reports here in Texas but I do back in Missouri-
    My credit has already been trashed because of him so I need to get out.
    Thank you for your help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this abusive [ 23 Answers ]

Dear people, I have got a serious problem I sometimes really wonder my my father's behaviour is abusive. Although there is no form of physical abuse, he does get mad and has tempertantrums on a regular basis, like daily or weekly. Shouting, Yelling, Criticizing, Interfering with everything we...

International Marriage in military.. Could Divorce... What do I do to save our marriage [ 7 Answers ]

My husband is in Germany serving the US Army and since November 14, 2005 he has been gone. I was supposed to go over there with him but yet to go. He says that he wants a divorce and when I try to get the real true reason out of him nothing works all he says is that I know why but deep down I have...

Is he abusive [ 24 Answers ]

My husband, has hit me once. He would rather spend time on the computer looking at porn all day instead of paying attention to me. He makes me do things for him constantly, I do them to avoid a fight, the slightess thing will set him off. He has hit our little dog and has thrown our cat up against...

Wanting out of an abusive marriage [ 5 Answers ]

I'm very tired and sad about the marriage that I am in. Ive been married sense 1998. I've been with my husband sense 1994. Are relationship has been unfaithful on both parts. I've tried so hard to make are relationship work we are together because we have three children, but we hate each other....

Is the following abusive... [ 15 Answers ]

Is the following abusive... 1) name-calling, swearing, screaming, criticizing, threatening 2)digging nails, choking (very lightly from the back of your neck and you can still breathe), hitting, biting, slapping, and then saying that hurting is legal It's too bad I have a lawyer as a...

View more questions Search