Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    brigit64's Avatar
    brigit64 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 10, 2008, 11:56 AM
    Leaving abusive husband with my son and going out of state
    Can my sister in NY leave her abusive husband and move here to WA with her son? Does she have to get a divorce first?
    charlotte234s's Avatar
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

    Mar 10, 2008, 12:06 PM
    She will have to have complete custody of the child first. She can take the child and go to a shelter until then, though.
    JudyKayTee's Avatar
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

    Mar 10, 2008, 02:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by brigit64
    Can my sister in NY leave her abusive husband and move here to WA with her son? Does she have to get a divorce first?

    Technically she can pick up and go anywhere she wants - but her husband has the absolute right to charge her with anything from custodial interference to kidnapping and drag her and the child back. There is also the potential that she could lose custody.

    The easiest way in the long run is to get a divorce, let the Court determine custody and then see if she can get the Court's permission to move. I will be surprised if the Court allows her to move across the country because it would limit the father's visitation but if he is abusive she at least has a chance that the Court will see it her way.

    If she moves to WA her hands would be tied as far as a divorce is concerned - if he sues she has to come back to fight it; if she wants a divorce, she has to come back to file the papers. Makes no sense.

    Depending on the level of abuse and the danger to her and the child she can always try to get a temporary Order to get him out of the house and away from her and the child.

    It's time to consult an Attorney!

    (I am also in NYS.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are the custody laws for leaving state with my son [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: Im currently living with the father of my 8month old son and he's always had anger issues but recently he has turned physically violent against me. I told him that I wanted to go back to school but the only way I can afford to do that was to move from Minnesota to reno, nv (where my...

Ex husband signed son over to state [ 2 Answers ]

Ok here is one for everyone, I'm lost and don't know what to do. About 2 1/2 years ago, I moved my ex-husband and son to north Idaho so I could be closer to my son. Well, my ex-husband wound up marrying a psychotic women about 6 months later. A little bit less than 2 months later, I wasn't allow...

Abusive Teenage Son [ 2 Answers ]

I live in MN, I have been raising my stepsons for about 11 years now. Their father has been an over the road truck driver from time to time. I was injured in 2001 after that everything seemed to go downhill. I tried to hide my pain as much as possible. I would stay in my room until they went to...

Leaving abusive, cheating, husband . [ 16 Answers ]

My sister is 28 yrs. Old one child 7 months old. She is married to a mild mentally retarded man who also has autisim. She is develop mentally delayed with an IQ of 80 so she is relatively normal. They have been married 9 yrs. He has always been abusive, hitting, yelling etc. she has filed several...

Leaving Abusive Marriage. [ 3 Answers ]

I need to leave my abuser- problem is we live in an apartment in Texas.. both names are on lease but all utilites are in my name... what are my rights. I know I can have utilities shut off but what happens when I leave regarding lease. He will not let me work to pay my debts... I'm moving to...

View more questions Search