Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    timtheaircrewma's Avatar
    timtheaircrewma Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Nov 7, 2013, 01:16 PM
    Leave the state on bail?
    My brother was arrested in the state of Florida for theft of a cell phone and a laptop. He is a kleptomaniac and is only 19. His court date is in the end of November but they should have a second one in January. The question is if someone bailed him out would he be able to leave the state and go to Maryland (thats where we are from) or would he have to stay in Florida. This is the first time he has been arrested and so I'm pretty sure they would let him go out of state on a tracking device but I was hoping someone with a little experience would know. Thank you for your imputs.
    AK lawyer's Avatar
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977

    Nov 7, 2013, 01:25 PM
    Are you considering posting his bail? There are two ways of doing that: either
    • you come up with the full amount of bail; or
    • you pay a bail bondsman generally 10% of the bond amount. You don't get that money back; the bonding company keeps that for its risk.

    In either case, the conditions of release set by the judge may or might not allow him to leave the state. If those conditions allow him to leave, how you or the bail bondsman makes sure that he returns for the hearings; because whether or not he does is your problem (and that of the bonding company). I wouldn't expect that the court would order a tracking device.

    Has the amount of the bond been set? Can you tell me how much it is?
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,970, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Nov 7, 2013, 01:36 PM
    As AK indicated, the judge will set the conditions of bail. His attorney should request that he be allowed to travel home, but will need to provide a valid reason.

    If he fails to return for trial, his bail will be forfeited. If a bond is used, the bondsman will come after whoever posted the bond for the money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I sue the bail bonds to decrease bail [ 3 Answers ]

I was told I had to pay ten percent of my sons bail to bail him out of jail. I paid 2000 and 200 monthly. We went to court, the judge said it was an error, the bail should have been 4000, not 8600. The court order was given to bailbonds, the refused to change it. Can I sue them , what can I do?

Can I leave the state with my kid and file full custity out of state? [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering if I can take my kid with me and leave the state of Ohio, we are sharing 50/50 custody right now. Live under same roof. We fight too much and this house is a pig pin. I guess what I am asking can I leave and file full custody out of state with her 'my little girl'

Can I leave the state [ 2 Answers ]

I moved to Florida with my husband 2 yrs ago. My husband hit me and me and the girls moved out. He maybie gives me a hudred dollars a month I have an autisc child and can not work. I need to go home so my family can help me but I am afarid he will say I kidnapped the kids ( he would love that)...

View more questions Search