Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    kell_belle's Avatar
    kell_belle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Aug 13, 2006, 02:14 PM
    Indiana emancipation law?
    My brother's girlfriend has been being sexually abused by her physically handicapped older brother from the time she can remember. Both of her parents know about it and have done nothing. She's 16.

    Child Protective Services came and took her yesterday, but returned her to her parents' home, saying they had to get her brother out of the house. When she got home, her mother locked her in her room and told her "You have ruined our family, and we don't want to see you or talk to you."

    Today her parents still won't talk to her, and she is being made to stay in her room or the bathroom, BECAUSE SHE SOUGHT HELP FROM THE ABUSE THAT THEY WERE UNWILLING TO GIVE HER THEMSELVES!!

    She's starting her Sophomore year in HS Tuesday, as in 2 days from now. She doesn't need to be locked in her bedroom. She wants to be emancipated and come live with me. I'm married, a stay at home mom to one child, I would gladly take this sweet girl in and take care of her. Can anyone tell me how we would go about this? I assume she has to be emancipated. I have heard that if she has proof of someone willing to provide for her financially, give her a home, etc. she wouldn't necessarily need a full-time job and apartment, but I can't find any info to that effect. She doesn't want to live on her own, she just wants a home where she feels safe, and we can provide that. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,302, Reputation: 7692

    Aug 13, 2006, 03:49 PM
    I doubt she can get emancipated, in general she would have to have a job, show she can earn a living on her own.

    If she is locked in her room and they have not gotten the molestor out of the house, you or she call CPS back and keep calling them, She is likely to end up in a foster home.
    J_9's Avatar
    J_9 Posts: 40,299, Reputation: 5646

    Aug 13, 2006, 04:52 PM
    Fr. Chuck is right. I just want to add one thing.

    When she goes to school on Tuesday she needs to talk to a counselor or teacher about this problem. CPS takes the reports by school teachers and counselors much more seriously because teachers and counselors are required by law to report abuse, their calls are treated much more credibly too.

    I only know cause my mother-in-law is a school teacher and has had to report before.

    As for you, you could possibly go and find out the process of becoming a foster mother and that way she may be able to be put into your custody.
    s_cianci's Avatar
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

    Aug 17, 2006, 09:27 PM
    Contact a family-law attorney. (S)he can steer you in the right direction. From what you've said it sounds like you'd have a pretty solid case.
    LUNAGODDESS's Avatar
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40
    Full Member

    Aug 17, 2006, 09:43 PM
    Emancipation is something the child at 16 years will have to do not you... she must show that she can behave as a adult and handle her own business... you doing the work for her.. does not show independence... it shows dependence... if the parents had said "You have ruined our family, and we don't want to see you or talk to you."

    The niece should have told the investigator that is handling her case... would have presented a problem... her parents knew that she was being abuse and chose not to do a thing about it... did not want to throw sh** in the game... but what if you are factual about the events... let be... let the young lady do what is best for her... let her make the move... be there for her... you are going to have family problems for a long while after this... so prepare emotionally for it and encourage your family to be prepared for the impact...
    talaniman's Avatar
    talaniman Posts: 54,328, Reputation: 10855

    Aug 18, 2006, 06:34 AM
    Your niece needs to report what has happened to whomever will listen, and make it known to her, your home is open to her, IN CASE SHE NEEDS IT! You must support her. If she shows up at your house after school one day, be ready to get the authorities involved again. Call the police if you have to.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need some emancipation... [ 4 Answers ]

My cousin wants to get out of her house (one way or another), and live with her dad. Of course, her parents are divorced. So, should she emancipate or get her dad to go to court? Also, she's 14, soon to turn 15 in July. She says she wants to get out as soon as possible. We live in Georgia, and I'm...

Emancipation in Indiana [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I are the parents of six children; the older three ours and the younger three are an adopted sibling group; they have been part of our family for about four years. The oldest adopted son has been a real challenge to raise, and to cut to the point, left home when he turned 18 and...

Emancipation [ 2 Answers ]

Hey, I was wondering if in South Dakota you can get emancipated before you are 16. Because in march I'll be 15 and I was wondering if I can get emancipated without my parents concent? Mainly because I really don't like it here with my parents they just seem to make my life worse and I was just...

INDIANA LAWS:  Father is moving [ 2 Answers ]

Joint custody, father states he is moving. Is there a law/statue in Indiana that requires him to notify me that he is moving? I remember something about 30-60 day notice but I need to confirm.

View more questions Search