Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    mderington's Avatar
    mderington Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Oct 20, 2009, 01:51 PM
    If I sign over my rights do I still have to pay child support
    If I sign over my rights do I still have to pay child support
    JudyKayTee's Avatar
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

    Oct 20, 2009, 02:55 PM

    There are hundreds and hundreds of posts which answer this question - please use the AMHD search feature.

    In a nutshell, 90% of the time, no. You stop paying when and if the child is adopted by someone. Until then the child you created is your responsibility to support.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Oct 20, 2009, 03:12 PM
    1) YOU can't sign over your rights, only a court can terminate rights
    2) No court will allow you to terminate rights to get out of paying support

    And, had you read the sticky note at the top of this forum or done some reading you would have known that without having to ask.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why does anyone sign away parental rights, if they still pay child support? [ 10 Answers ]

I've been doing lots of reading up on signing away parental rights, and have read over and over that you are only signing away your rights, not your responsibilities or obligations. What I don't understand, is, why would a father choose to sign over his parental rights, yet still be obligated...

If I sign over all rights of my kids will I have to pay child support? [ 13 Answers ]

I have two children with my ex girlfriend. I had soul custody for about 3 years, I fell on some hard times and wasn't able to provide for them anymore. They have been staying with their mother for about 1 year now, I have a fiancÚ and a new child now which is causing problems between my ex and my...

Can I sign over rights and not pay child support? [ 2 Answers ]

I found out a year after my son was born that he was mine. So I had to start paying child support and back child support. Then she was calling wanting me to be in his life so I said yes. She called the law and said I was going to cut her and the baby's neck so they put an order of protection were I...

Father Wants to sign away his rights so he doesn't have to pay child support [ 3 Answers ]

Is this legal? Can he do this? Will the courts allow it since the child support was court ordered? His wife and him are trying to bully me into hiring a lawyer and having the paper work drawn up for this. They both were convicted of child abuse against my son and she has a no contact order...

View more questions Search