Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !

    If I sign over my rights, do I have to pay child support?

    Asked Nov 3, 2011, 08:37 PM 3 Answers
    Will I have pay child support if I sign over the rights to my 3 kids? I haven't been able to find a job in about 2 years, and my child support is racking up. Any time I get a job u percent of it goes to my child support and late fees. I'm unable to support myself and am currently homeless because I can't afford rent or even food for myself. I have gone to court to lower my child support, and the judge denied me, even when I told him my circumstances. This is in Chicago, Illinois.

    Last edited by Wondergirl; Nov 3, 2011 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Edited to create sentences.
    Search this Question
    Share |
    3 Answers
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,972, Reputation: 6055
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Nov 4, 2011, 03:40 AM

    Whatever makes you think you can give up your rights? Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. State laws vary so some states will terminate rights but not responsibilities. But no state will terminate rights if it means freeing the parent from support obligations.

    So you can forget that idea. If your circumstances have changed, you go back to court for a modification of your support order.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,004, Reputation: 7675

    Nov 4, 2011, 05:01 AM

    First, there is a min, amount often charged for child support, so I will assume you are on that amount, If not, then you did not prove that you have no income or did not provide documentation for the judge.

    So you don't really tell the judge, you prove your case in documents. Legal aid helps those with no income, perhaps you need to visit the local group.

    You can not sign your rights away, unless she is remarried and the new partner wants to adopt.
    Even then you would owe all the back support.
    AK lawyer's Avatar
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977

    Nov 4, 2011, 05:46 AM
    Are the children still with you despite the fact that you are homeless?

    Let the other parent have custody of them. This is not the same thing as "signing over" your "rights".

    At least they will have a home over their heads, and you could ask the court to stop more support liability from accruing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If I sign my rights over do I still have to pay child support? [ 3 Answers ]

Okay so my babies daddy and I have had 4 kids together. And instead of paying child support I have two kids and he has two. We live 10 minutes away from each other so we switch and take turns on the weekends taking all four so the kids can be together on the weekends. We are not together. He is...

If I sign over my rights do I still have to pay child support [ 2 Answers ]

If I sign over my rights do I still have to pay child support

Can I sign over rights and not pay child support? [ 2 Answers ]

I found out a year after my son was born that he was mine. So I had to start paying child support and back child support. Then she was calling wanting me to be in his life so I said yes. She called the law and said I was going to cut her and the baby's neck so they put an order of protection were I...

Father Wants to sign away his rights so he doesn't have to pay child support [ 3 Answers ]

Is this legal? Can he do this? Will the courts allow it since the child support was court ordered? His wife and him are trying to bully me into hiring a lawyer and having the paper work drawn up for this. They both were convicted of child abuse against my son and she has a no contact order...

View more questions Search