Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    blkwdwchic's Avatar
    blkwdwchic Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 14, 2011, 10:57 PM
    How to take the father of my 2 children to court when he lives in the USA?
    My 2 children are 8 & 9 soon to be 9 & 10, the father has ran off to the states when they were 2 & 3 after we split. After he's giving me a hard time with helping out with birthday, school year clothes, and xmas.. I decided I want to take him to court. I can go through legal aid but they rejected me twice because I own a home (worth only $10,000.00)and I didn't have his address. I have his address and a job now.. does anyone know a simpler way to get him? I really hate to go to legal aid just to be rejected. Anyone have any simirlar stories? Advice? Good lawyers hahah... I live in Manitoba. Thanks
    tickle's Avatar
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674

    Feb 15, 2011, 03:47 AM

    I am thinking that he is pretty well protected while he lives in the USA. Anyway, suing someone long distance is almost an impossibility. How would each of you appear in court, and in any event, the lawyer's fees would be astronomical. I know of legal aid, I live in Canada. They would never have the resources for this and in any event, wouldn't take it on even if you didn't have a house. Sorry.

    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Feb 15, 2011, 04:43 AM

    You will need an attorney. You can probably file suit locally and, if he doesn't show up, you will win by default. The problem will then be collecting. I'm not sure what reciprocal arrangements Canada and the US have in regards to child support. Your attorney can tell you.

    But I think its still worth filing and getting a support order issued. If he ever returns to Canada, he can be arrested until he pays.
    blkwdwchic's Avatar
    blkwdwchic Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 18, 2011, 07:04 PM
    Comment on tickle's post
    Oh yea, he's also using an ontario address to collect family allowance.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692

    Feb 18, 2011, 09:27 PM

    If the children are living with you, you file where you live, so you file for custody ( if you have not already) and file for child support.
    cdad's Avatar
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

    Feb 18, 2011, 09:53 PM

    And send all paperwork to the Ontario address.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are the rights of my you.S. Resident children, father lives in Mexico. [ 2 Answers ]

What are the rights of my U.S. resident children (green card) that have a father that lives in Mexico? Their father has been in jail and they are afraid of visiting him, he has been in trouble with Mexican authorities numerous times, he was in the municipal police force and he was a crooked cop....

I live here in the USA, my girlfriend lives in Accra, Ghana and she wants to come to [ 4 Answers ]

How much does a visa cost to leave Ghana?

Adopting a relative who lives outside usa [ 1 Answers ]

I am a naturalized citizen. I am planning to adopt my nephew who is in Philippines. Would I be able to bring him here in america? Or is it easier if I petition him as an alien relative first?

Claiming children who lives in the philippines as dependents? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I just want to ask if its possible to claim my 2 kids as dependents even if they are currently living in the philippines. They haven't been in the states yet and there was no plan for them to come here anytime soon. But I'm sure I can get them an ITIN since they already have visas. They live...

Claiming a grandchild that lives with you or does father that lives elsewhere? [ 6 Answers ]

My 18 year old daughter lives with me full time, is full time high school student, has had a baby 12/5/07 and the baby also lives with me. I do claim my daughter as a dependent. The baby is covered by his fathers insurance. Who claims the baby as a dependent on their taxes, the father or myself?

View more questions Search