Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    skay80221's Avatar
    skay80221 Posts: 3, Reputation: 0
    New Member

    Oct 20, 2007, 04:14 PM
    How to I prove he is an unfit parent?
    My boyfriend is an alcoholic and recently become a rage-aholic. I am making arrangements to leave him. But what makes this complicated is we have an 8 month old son together. My boyfriend has a son from a previous marriage who is 6. He takes him to parties, bars etc. Now for my question... When I leave my boyfriend what to I have to do to prove that he is unfit to see our son without supervision? I do not want child support. And, would it be out of the question to ask the courts for him to take a breathalizer when he picks up my son and drops him off if I agreed to pay for it?
    peggyhill's Avatar
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150
    Senior Member

    Oct 20, 2007, 04:43 PM
    You should call a local law office and ask for a free consultation. If the first place you call won't give you one, keep trying, I'm sure someone will. A lawyer who specializes in family law should be able to point you in the right direction. Also, if he is taking his son to bars/alcohol parties and driving drunk with his son with him, you could consider reporting him to Social Services. He is obviously setting a very bad example for him. Good luck!
    N0help4u's Avatar
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

    Oct 21, 2007, 07:08 AM
    With visitations you can have a designated pick up/drop off site. Many girls that are afraid of the dad or have PFA's use the police station as their exchange place. Write everything he has done and the closest time you can remember and start writing everything he does when he does it so you can tell the Judge the different incidents and so you feel he needs supervised visits.
    s_cianci's Avatar
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

    Oct 21, 2007, 10:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    Write everything he has done and the closest time you can remember and start writing everything he does when he does it so you can tell the Judge the different incidents and so you feel he needs supervised visits.
    I agree with this. Start keeping a detailed log of all of his behaviors. Be prepared to explain to the judge when and why you started doing this.
    Bluerose's Avatar
    Bluerose Posts: 1,521, Reputation: 310
    Ultra Member

    Oct 22, 2007, 06:06 AM
    I agree, keep a journal of all his activities, drinking, fights etc. Since the baby is so young you will have a say in visitations. And may I advise against stopovers, keep the visits short and few and far between while the baby is so young. At least until he proves himself a fit father. And remember this is not about you two this is about your child and what is best for him.

    You can, for as long as your other half continues to be unreliable, say when and where the visits are to take place, stay in charge. But also, if I may say this as a word of warning, you must also be above reproach. You must be seen to be taking very good care of your child and live in a clean save environment. Keep all receipts of things you buy for the baby and any receipts of things he buys - this shows which one is the more loving and responsible parent should it become serious and end up in court.
    macksmom's Avatar
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

    Oct 22, 2007, 06:17 AM
    All the previous posters have given you great advice! :)

    Definitely start keeping a journal now, and get a free consultation with an attorney.

    And, regardless if you want it or not, you should get child support for the baby.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unfit parent [ 10 Answers ]

My son is in iraq. He has a 1 year old daughter who lives with her mother. The mother has been diagnosed bi-polar but does not seek treatment. A lot of the time she is very unstable I am very concerned for the safety of my grand-daughter. I know it is not easy to obtain custody but at the same time...

7 Months pregnant , the father wants to prove me unfit [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am 7 months pregnant and the baby dad is my Feince. We have been engaged for 9 months. I do love him and he saids he loves me. But these last couple of months I have been getting the feeling he is cheating. So now Im jealous all the time and thinking he is cheating. I even think he has sleep...

Unfit parent [ 1 Answers ]

What is the definition of an unfit parent in the province of new brunswick, canada

Unfit parent [ 5 Answers ]

If a parent can not keep food or gas on in the house and can not keep a stable job is that proved to be an unfit parent?

How do I prove an unfit father? [ 2 Answers ]

My son is 13 months old. In the past 7 months, my ex had seen him maybe 4 or 5 times. They don't know each other at all. My ex doesn't even call or help me out with my son. In January 07 I asked for him to sign him over, and he said no. His name is on the birth certificate, but we were never...

View more questions Search