If a family member wants to sign over guardianship of an infant & the father is not on the birth certificate does he need to prove his paternity! Can the mother sign over guardianship without consent of the father. This is a very hard situation my husband & I are willing to take an infant that our 18 year old niece doesn't want to care for, but the father does not want to sign any documents- is there anything we can do?