Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    silverfang5892's Avatar
    silverfang5892 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 11, 2015, 07:04 AM
    How to establish rights before the baby is born
    The mother is planning on moving from Illinois to Oklahoma.

    The unborn child expected due date is May 1st 2015. The mother and father are not married. How do I establish his rights as a father and mine as grandmother?
    talaniman's Avatar
    talaniman Posts: 54,223, Reputation: 10853

    Mar 11, 2015, 07:38 AM
    Did you mean support and visitation? That's a matter for the courts wherever she may be. He has to establish his own rights, but I doubt keeping her where she is, is one of them.
    J_9's Avatar
    J_9 Posts: 40,299, Reputation: 5645

    Mar 11, 2015, 07:39 AM
    Your son will have to register on the putative father registry to protect his rights from adoption in Illinois.

    Until the child is born, and a paternity test is done, your son is only the suspected father.
    Synnen's Avatar
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443

    Mar 11, 2015, 07:54 AM
    You can't really do anything.

    HE has to do this--he has to register on the Putative Father's Registry for both states.

    He has no rights until the child is born, though. The Putative Father Registry, however, should establish rights almost immediately after birth--at at the very least, prevent the mother from making a decision about adoption without the father's consent.

    If you are hoping to keep her from moving, it won't work.
    AK lawyer's Avatar
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977

    Mar 11, 2015, 09:41 AM
    Once the baby is born, OP's son should file for visitation &/ or custody. If he is then determined to be the father, he will also be required to pay child support (if she is awarded primary physical custody).

    Some states also have laws giving grandparents certain rights (subject to primary rights with the parents of the child).

    If the birth occurs in Oklahoma, jurisdiction will be in that state, according to the UCCJEA. In other words, OP and her son (the putative father) would have to file in Oklahoma.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Mar 11, 2015, 05:55 PM
    Also , where there are grandparent rights, they generally require that a significant bond exist between the grandparents and the child. Such that it would cause harm to the child to not continue the relationship. Obviously that doesn't exist here.

    You (actually your son) REALLY needs to consult a local Family Law attorney. A local attorney will be able to advise both of you what rights you have and how to try and enforce them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Re-establish Parental Rights [ 7 Answers ]

I have 4 siblings in my custody, the mom and dad have both voluntarily relinquished their parental rights. Mom would now like to get the kids back. I would like to help mom what can we do? She signed off on them in February and we live in Nebraska. Can anyone help me?

I am Slovak, my husband is Polish, our baby was born in UK? What is baby nationality [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am slovakian, my husband is polish, our baby was born in England, UK,. what is our baby nationality? Our baby got temporary polish pasport which going to expire this months,can he get english one? I am just confused what my baby is? We got already slovakian and polish identity number,....

An slovakia and born my baby in ireland?1wk ago is my baby irish [ 1 Answers ]

I am slovakia and I have lived in ireland for 2years , can my son get irish citizen or slovakia citizen if I deliver my baby in 2months time in ireland

Australian mothers rights of new born baby? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my daughter is due to give birth soon and her ex partner (not married) has threatened to take her to court to get 50/50 custody of the baby. He said he'll win & she doesn't have a leg to stand on. While my daughter has agreed for him to have visitation but not until the baby has finished breast...

Does the father have rights before the baby is born even though I'm under age? [ 8 Answers ]

Okay my name is Anastasia and I'm 17 and pregnant and my boyfriend is the father who is 18. My parents didn't press charges or anything because they really cant. But they won't let me see him or anything. Even thought I'm underage does he still have rights before the baby iis born to see me and...

View more questions Search