Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    lisenbed's Avatar
    lisenbed Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 22, 2007, 07:23 PM
    How do I sign away my rights to a child in Texas?
    I have a 4 year old that I know nothing about and she has a step parent figure in the picture who would adopt my daughter. How do I go about doing it and who is finacially responsible for it?
    shygrneyzs's Avatar
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

    Jan 22, 2007, 07:36 PM
    Rescinding your rights is not an easy process, but it is not that difficult either. You do need legal representation, as there are documents to fill out. Here is one site for you to read through about the process.

    Also do a search here on askme. There have been nummerous posts on this very question.

    Parental Rights
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,268, Reputation: 7689

    Jan 22, 2007, 07:40 PM
    First of course the other parent who has custody will want to agree to it, you can not give up any rights ( or obligations to pay child support) without their permission basically.

    If and when the step parent is willing to adopt, they would hire an attorney to do the adoption paperwork which would include paperwork for you to sign , that would give up all your rights and obligations.

    Unless the step parent is ready to adopt, even if you gave up rights to visit, you can not give up the support payments obligations.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are visitation rights the same in Texas as for all states? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a brother living in the Valley whom has recently divorced and has the typical every other weekend visitation rights. However, he seemly has the kids several times during the week as well as many weekends for the month. Recently, my brother had to fire one of his asistant managers and that...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Can I sign off my parental rights [ 27 Answers ]

I have 2 kid that live in Washington state and I live in houston I want to sign off my rights can you do that or not I was told the only way was if my ex wife got married and the man wanted to adoped my 2 kids can anoy help me with this

Getting Him To Sign His Rights Over [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find out how I go about getting my ex to sign his rights over and whether I can have him forced to sign them. My ex husband is a danger to my children and I have had to have two protection orders filed against him and five warrants for harassment and I just filed another for...

Termination of Parental Rights in Texas [ 1 Answers ]

Once the parental rights of the biological parents have been terminated, does that mean the relationship of all biological relatives are also terminated?

View more questions Search