Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Kim Moss's Avatar
    Kim Moss Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jul 19, 2011, 07:33 AM
    How do I report someone who is receiving a check for a child that is not his?
    How do I report someone who I believe is receiving a check for a child who doesn't belong to the deceased father? He committed suicide when he found out the child wasn't his.
    joypulv's Avatar
    joypulv Posts: 21,593, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

    Jul 19, 2011, 07:54 AM
    'Doesn't belong to' is not a legal term. It's possible that the man died before a court ruled that he no longer was responsible for the child. A paternity test is just a first step in the process. Sometimes it takes years for the system to catch up to changes in benefits, but if someone is getting a check she doesn't deserve, she will be caught and will owe it all back.
    this8384's Avatar
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

    Jul 19, 2011, 08:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Moss View Post
    How do I repoprt someone who i believe is recieving a check for a child who doesnt belong to the deceased father? He commited suicide when he found out the child wasnt his.
    For starters, where are you located? Laws vary by location.

    I assume that the child is receiving SSI benefits as a result of the father passing, is that correct?

    There are a lot of factors which may still entitle the child to benefits even though the deceased man is not the biological father. Was the deceased married to the mother at the time the child was born? Is the deceased listed on the child's birth certificate? How old is the child?

    I'm sure you're aware, but the deceased's reason for taking his life has no bearing on the situation. How did he become aware that this was not his child? Was a DNA test taken or did the mother tell him that the child did not belong to him?
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Jul 19, 2011, 09:25 AM

    And what business is this of yours? What type of check is being received? What is the relationship of the person to the child?
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,302, Reputation: 7692

    Jul 19, 2011, 10:09 AM

    Since you have provided almost no info, I will give you an example

    If he is listed on the birth certificate, if he died ( even if not the bio father) he is still legally the father, so the child would still be the heir and still entitled to money in the US>

    Not being the bio father does not mean, "not the legal father" in US law, in some states, if he was married to the mother when the child is born he is the legal father and it is hard to change that

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is there a way to appeal my child from receiving my benefits now he is over 18 [ 5 Answers ]

I went to court was awarded my diability my child was a minor at time of disability claim he was over 18 when I received now he is receiving the check for claim can this be appealed awarded couple months ago he has not received check yet

Disabled parent is receiving checks for the minor child they do not have custody [ 10 Answers ]

what if I have custody of my niece and I was just told her mother has been receiving a check for her since 1997

Receiving child support from jobless out of state mother. [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter's mother has been jobless for the last year and a half, and her entire financial portfolio is in horrific danger, being evicted, no vehicle, no insurance, etc. She recently stated she is going to move to CO to live w/ her sister and her brother in-law, she supposidly wants to find a...

Military child receiving support [ 2 Answers ]

My Daughter graduates this month and is entering the military in Sept. (full time) Is she entitled for support from her dad still?

Disability check VS. Child support check [ 2 Answers ]

My sister lives w/ my step father. My mom HAD to leave the home. My sister is 13 and decided to stay w/ father. I don't think he can take care of my sister.. he can't hardly take care of his self. He receives a disability check for his self and my sister gets one also until she is 18. He BLOWS...

View more questions Search