Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    kjnicegirl's Avatar
    kjnicegirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 16, 2017, 07:00 PM
    How do I petition the court for custody of my grandaughter that DCF has guardianshiip
    DCF in CT has temporary custody of my grandaughter who was placed with me at birth due to my daughter's drug use. Now they want to take her from me because of my health. I have three doctors that state my health is stable and I can take care of this baby long term . They said they are going to take her next week, can they use my health against me like that? Isn't that a violation of my constitutional rights? How can I stop them from removing her from the only home she's known? Please help me... what do I do to stop them... How can they just take my flesh and blood and put her in a foster home that wants to adopt her? She has a family that loves her.. please someone I need answers.
    joypulv's Avatar
    joypulv Posts: 21,593, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

    Apr 16, 2017, 07:07 PM
    You need to hire a lawyer. You can do your own petition, but I wouldn't.
    grammadidi's Avatar
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

    Apr 17, 2017, 02:20 PM
    I haven't been involved with Grandparents Raising Grandparent's groups for a long time and most of my experience has been in Canada, however here are 2 resources for you. One is:

    The second one is a Facebook group with some awesome members. I think they can either provide you the support you need or at the very least steer you in the right direction:

    There truly are a lot of supports out there now. I also agree that you should speak with a Family Specialist Lawyer.
    grammadidi's Avatar
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

    Apr 17, 2017, 02:27 PM
    Wanted to add a third place that one of my contacts told me about that specifically addresses the legal aspects: Home

    Hope this helps!

    Hugs, Didi
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,292, Reputation: 7691

    Apr 17, 2017, 04:31 PM
    I will agree, a lawyer, no it is not a constitutional right to keep a grandchild, if they view that you are unable to properly care for the child. They can take a child from the parents, So you need an attorney who will review what is your current legal status, and present this information to children's services.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to petition the court for custody of my niece WITHOUT an attorney? [ 2 Answers ]

My niece and her siblings were taking from there mother when she had got incarcerated and was placed in a home with someone that IS NOT family. I am willing to take her in but CPS is making it really difficult. Although I have done everything possible to get her. Her mother is unfit and is...

I filed a petition in Juvenile Court for temporary custody of a minor child [ 0 Answers ]

I filed a petition in Juvenile court, I got responses from the respondents. How do I go about getting this case heard and getting a court date?

How do I petition the court over child custody without a lawyer? [ 2 Answers ]

My 13 year old daughter lives with her father and step mother in a verbally abusive and mentally straining environment. Dhs has been notified about the abuse and some physical abuse but will not help due to the lack permanent damage mentally or marks left less than 48 hours. My daughters behavior...

Dcf and custody... can my ex use it against me in court [ 1 Answers ]

Can the non-custodial can use domestic violence and dcf involovment (mandated by law if any dv reported to police)as to say that a parent was unfit. Even is she and her family are the victims and she pressed charges/protection order. DCF cases where closed sayn the mother isn't at fault and no...

Should I retain custody of my grandaughter or turn my daughter in to CPS [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter has a child with her boyfriend who has been convicted in the past for domestic violence. He has hit her to my knowledge 4 times. She put a restraining order on him. CPS investigated and determined that he should not have contact with my grandchild because he would not go to anger...

View more questions Search