Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Morequestions's Avatar
    Morequestions Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Aug 17, 2016, 11:01 PM
    How do I obtain tax information
    I'm a single mom raising my daughter and was initially doing pretty good financially (keeping 2 jobs). I am presently working about 20-25 hours weekly with one job of which I've been employed ten years now. My ex husband has his own business, but whenever we go to court he somehow manages to produce tax papers showing he makes the same as I do $40,000 annually. I'm struggling to pay a car note of $350 monthly while he is driving a brand new Range Rover 2015 and renting a house that's about $1500 monthly (guessing on his rent). How do I obtain his true pay legally. He has his own limo business which he advertises on the Internet. Please help??
    joypulv's Avatar
    joypulv Posts: 21,593, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

    Aug 18, 2016, 02:11 AM
    Hiring a lawyer might be able to help determine whether or not he is printing out bogus tax forms, but that's about it.
    A more likely possibility is that he is making up deductions and/or not reporting some of his cash income. That means that even if he is showing the court real copies of his tax forms, he could be padding expenses/hiding income to the IRS. And that will be extremely difficult if not impossible to determine (unless the IRS does an audit and makes him produce all his proof of business expense, and even scrutinizes how he manages to pay for things).

    In today's environment, I can actually see an internet limo business costing more and making less than you think. But it's also common for small, one person businesses to cheat on their taxes.

    40-50 years ago I would hear stories of people getting the IRS to audit someone. I'm not so sure they respond to suspicious exes anymore.
    You could try. You can call around to several lawyers to see what they would charge and if they think it's worth it.
    I don't think it is. This is a job for the IRS.
    ebaines's Avatar
    ebaines Posts: 12,132, Reputation: 1307

    Aug 18, 2016, 12:01 PM
    Something I don't understand about your post - you are divorced, and so at the time of your divorce there must have been an agreement or court order regarding alimony and/or child support amounts. What difference does it make now after the divorce whether his income goes up, down, or sideways?

    But to answer your question - if he has shown his tax filings in court then you have about as much info as you can hope for. I would second Joy's statement that as owner of a company he is probably writing off substantial business expenses, including perhaps his car.
    cdad's Avatar
    cdad Posts: 12,695, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

    Aug 18, 2016, 01:17 PM
    What you need to do is an accounting of the business. Also you need to compare it to other businesses of similar size. That way no matter what the returns say the judge could impune an amount that differs from the actual return.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,304, Reputation: 7692

    Aug 18, 2016, 07:53 PM
    I guess I will ask, when he is questioned in court by your attorney, as to how he pays for the house, how he pays for the car, how he maintains his life style, what budget does he produce to prove he lives on this income ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can HR obtain personal medical information? [ 1 Answers ]

I have reason to believe that my personal and medical information has been obtained by my HR dept. From my DR. And has even been shared around the office to supervisors and co-employees. What can I do about this ?

Can I obtain information about a mortgage even if my name is not on it? [ 3 Answers ]

My name is on the deed but not the mortgage. I have been served w/nod. I call to get information and they refuse talk to me. Since I have been served w/the notice of default, shouldn't I be able to access information about the default (getting the amount needed to become current)?

Obtain tax return information regarding depentants claimed. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, How would I go about obtaining information about how another person files their tax forms with regard to claiming dependents? I know that sounds vague, but it is relative to a divorce in 2004, and my belief that the ex wife has been claiming a son who does not meet the tests for...

What type of information do landlords obtain for credit checks? [ 3 Answers ]

I was just wondering what types of information a landlord may obtain about a perspective tenant and how it used against you?

I need information on how to obtain a divorce [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to know what can you do if you're trying to obtain a divorce and the Wife has left the country with no way of contacting her knowing divorce is wanted? Thanks

View more questions Search