Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    amber0406's Avatar
    amber0406 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 3, 2007, 05:56 PM
    How do I get the father of my children to sign over rights?
    I'm 23 and have 2 children by the same man. We have had an on/off relationship for the past 4 years. Recently We broke up for the last time when he hurt me physically for the first time. I would really like to get our lives on track and have a better life. I would perfer for him to not be in it. He is a bad influence, he has never provided for us financially, and he could not pass a drug test. I pressed charges on him for theft and battery. He has not been arrested yet, so he calls and threatens my life and threatens to take the kids (no way possible could he). He says he's going to send someone over to take care of me, I honestly think he is capable of this. He does not care about to going to jail, in fact he thinks its funny. He said he would go to jail before he ever pays me child support. He just is not a good person. However he loves his kids, esp his daughter. He never really wanted to have another child and hasn't gotten to attached to our son. She loves him too. She talks about him everyday. He agreed to sign over his rights and then quickly changed his mind. Is there anything I can do make this happen?:confused:
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692

    Mar 3, 2007, 06:20 PM
    Ok, you do understand that "signing over rights" has nothing to do with child support, and most likely he figured that out also.

    Signing over rights only stops him from having any imput in the child's life, stops any custody and any visitation. But he can still be obligated to child support because there is also a state interest in that.

    You can get an order of protection perhaps and most certain need a custody agreement giving you custody, and trying to restrict any visitation from him, to none and if that can't be done, to supervised visitation only.

    Unless he is willing to give up his rights, just going to jail and even using drugs does not mean you can automatically get his rights taken away.
    It will be a long and rather costly court battle to take away custody if he is not willing to give it up. ( unless he is a threat to the children)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want my unborn child'd father to sign his rights over [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, Im not sure how this all works, but. I was dating this guy and a month into the relationship I ended up pregnant. When I was about 3 months pregnant we broke up. He declares that the baby is not his (even though it is) he doesn't believe me. He wants a DNA test done to see if it is and if it is...

Father won't see children [ 2 Answers ]

My son-in-law won't see his children. He and my daughter have been divorced three years and last June, he stopped seeing his children. His daughter was very close to him and is having a bad time with this. She is almost nine years old. She blames herself because the last time he wanted her to...

Question about a father who wants to sign over his parental rights [ 11 Answers ]

I have a question about a fathers parental rights. Can a father request to the state to sign over his parental rights? I have a friend of mine that has a child that he has never seen - and lives in California while he lives here in Minnesota and pays child support. The mother refuses to allow...

Can he sign over rights? [ 3 Answers ]

I am 22 years old and live in California and recently found out that I am pregnant. I am happy but my ex boyfriend is not. He is in the army and feels this baby and I will ruin his military career. He feels I am only keeping this baby so I can receive the benefits from the Army. He wants to sign...

Getting Him To Sign His Rights Over [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find out how I go about getting my ex to sign his rights over and whether I can have him forced to sign them. My ex husband is a danger to my children and I have had to have two protection orders filed against him and five warrants for harassment and I just filed another for...

View more questions Search