Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    tamtam332001's Avatar
    tamtam332001 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 27, 2015, 10:45 AM
    How do I file for abandonment on my daughters mom? Not seen child in 8 months.
    My daughters mother left us around 8 months ago and has not been back since. She is on drugs and has been arrested for this. My name is on her birth certificate as father but she was in another county when she delivered and I did not make it in time to sign it. She has not helped with any type of support for our daughter and I really don't want anything from her. She did file her federal taxes and claim our daughter even though she has not been around for 8 months or more.. how do I file something to keep her from just showing up and taking her from me when she abandoned her for over 8 months now?
    talaniman's Avatar
    talaniman Posts: 54,213, Reputation: 10853

    Feb 27, 2015, 11:03 AM
    If your child was left with a responsible person to care for her (YOU), its not abandonment, in the US anyway. Get awarded full custody through the courts.

    Do you want a divorce, or legal separation? Either will suffice.
    AK lawyer's Avatar
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977

    Feb 27, 2015, 12:38 PM
    File with the court in your state for an award of child custody and support.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,304, Reputation: 7692

    Feb 27, 2015, 10:50 PM
    You do not file abandoment, you file for divorce. You file for custody of the child in court. The mother will have a chance to ask for visitation, but that will be a court issue.

    You need to hire attorney and go to court for custody of child.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to file abandonment on my daughters father and remove his last name from hers. [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, My name is Sarah, I live in Texas. My daughters father has been absent majority of her life. He has maybe seen her no more than 20 times and she is almost 6 years old. I did file for child support but nothing was issued at the time due to him being incarcerated in another state. Paternity...

Can I file child abandonment warrant? My exhusband hasn't paid 5 months child support [ 2 Answers ]

It's been five months and he now owes $9,000 and refuses to pay. I filed a contempt of court order paperwork and the law has made four attempts to serve him but was unsuccessful. What can I do next? Can I file a child abandonment warrant or just file another contempt of court paperwork again until...

How can I file for a warrant on my daughters father for child support [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter's father is taking me to court for visitation rights... but I don't understand how the main reason he is illegal but beside that he doesn't ''provide nor support'' her. Since 2006 I've received maybe a total of 8 payments of child support and owed over 4000.00 and I have called child...

Should I File for Child Abandonment or Continue to Wait for my Child Support Hearing? [ 8 Answers ]

I have a 3 year old child out of wedlock and I broke up with his father since September 2008. He was abusive and I had him arrested. After he got out of jail, I allowed him to still see our child. We agreed that he would pay the child support without the courts being involved. Well of course that...

Is it possible to file abandonment against my daughters father? [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter is going to be 4 in a few months and her father has been in and out of her life. The thing is I have his phone number and I know where he lives but I have tried to call him and text him and he won't return my calls or texts. I know he gets them because he tells his ex of his 3 month...

View more questions Search