Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    The Digs's Avatar
    The Digs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 10, 2019, 04:32 PM
    How do I add my name to my sons birth certificate?
    I want to add my name to my sons birth certificate.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,302, Reputation: 7692

    Feb 10, 2019, 07:18 PM
    How old is the son? Why was he not on it, to start with?

    But you will have to most likely get a DNA test by a lab approved by the court and get a court order for it, to be added.
    ma0641's Avatar
    ma0641 Posts: 15,681, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

    Feb 11, 2019, 02:49 PM
    What happened at birth? You were the mother, correct?
    sandra white's Avatar
    sandra white Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 5, 2019, 11:53 AM

    First, you have to establish that you are the parent by filing in court. The only other option is to have the other parent agree to allow yourself to be claimed as the parent
    Specter1's Avatar
    Specter1 Posts: 85, Reputation: 2
    Junior Member

    Aug 16, 2019, 03:40 PM
    I do not know about the laws in your state, but here in South Carolina the website for the Department of Health and Environmental Control states:

    "If there is not a father listed on your child's birth certificate and you were not married at the time of your child's birth or anytime during the pregnancy but later marry the father and want to have his name added to your child's birth certificate, you can request what is called a 'legitimation' of birth. Legitimation is a legal process that establishes the father of a child born out of wedlock as the child's legal father.

    You can start that process at your nearest Vital Records office or the DHEC State Vital Records Office in Columbia. You will need to provide a certified copy of the marriage license, and both you and the child's father will have to sign a statement called an 'affidavit' in the presence of a notary. You will also need to request a certified copy of the birth certificate.

    Applying by Mail

    If you and the father cannot visit a Vital Records office together, you may submit your request by mail. You will need to mail us the following:

    Your request for a birth certificate and a statement saying that you want to add the father to the birth certificate
    A certified copy of your marriage license (this will not be returned to you)
    A phone number where you can be reached between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m.

    DHEC staff will review and determine if legitimation can be completed. If the father can be added, an affidavit will be mailed. Both parents will need to sign it in the presence of a notary and return the signed document with the $15 amendment fee."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I get on my sons birth certificate? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a little boy with my ex partner, she keeps refusing to put me on the birth certificate and keeps coming up with useless excusses why she won't do it, I think she just doesn't want me to have any rights for my little boy. What is my best way around this to gain rights, was thinking of a dna...

My sons birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

My son Bentley was born in ny and he has my maiden last name and I'm the only one on his birth certificate.. we now live in FL and I'm wanting to put his father on his birth certificate but he's in the military and lives in Utah who do I talk to about doing that and which state?

Can I get on my sons birth certificate? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I wonder if anyone can please help me with some advice. I have recently become a father for the first time and have been in a turbulent relationship with the mother for months now. She lives with her parents and does not seem to want to move out, although on the later side of her 20's. She...

How do I put my name on my sons birth certificate [ 2 Answers ]

My son is 2 years and 2 months old. His mother never put me on the birth certificate and she didn't give him my surname. I have a court order in place and I exercise regular contact with my son (including sleep overs). I also pay CSRA payments to her as she has informed them I am his father. There...

How can I get on my sons birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

How can I get on my sons birth certificate? My girlfriend is on it but I'm not at the moment.will it have any effect on my job money or benefits? As we don't live together.

View more questions Search