Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Romeo_T's Avatar
    Romeo_T Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jun 19, 2011, 07:25 AM
    How to claim my fathers estate?
    My father passed on about three years ago, he split with my mother in 1998 and left her with me and my little brother, he was ordered by the court to pay maintenance but did not. My mother raised both my brother and I on her income and my father re married and had a baby girl with my step mom. After the funeral she disappeared , changed her number, and cut off all contact to my family. My father was an actor in his early life and moved on to be a restaurant owner. All business were closed down but still both my brother and I did not receive anything from him not a cent till today. What steps can I take and what can I do, I can't find this women and I don't know where to start.
    cdad's Avatar
    cdad Posts: 12,687, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

    Jun 19, 2011, 08:48 AM

    Here is the problem. You may or may not be owed anything as far as inheiritence goes. That will depend upon state law. What state is this in?
    Another thing is that your mom will be owed money from the estate if there was unpaid court ordered child support. Leaving everything to the wife does not relinquish the debt. You most likely need to hire professionals to find everything and create a paperwork trail. Your mother is the one that will have the right to collection for support owed and is first in line. She will have to be involved. If she has passed then it may be possible for you and your brother to collect on that debt. You need a private eye and a lawyer to waddle your way through all of this. Some states charge 10% on arrears so even if the amount was low years ago it may have balooned into something larger.

    Find the trail and pursue it.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,304, Reputation: 7692

    Jun 19, 2011, 08:57 AM

    First you do not know there even was an estate. He had closed his business and so on. Next if things were in joint ownership with his new wife, they can often pass to her without going into an estate.

    Next you have no claim to any money that was owed your mother, that is for her to claim.

    You need to go to the court house where he lived when he died and even see if there was probate and an estate
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Jun 19, 2011, 10:35 AM

    And since this happened 3 years ago, there may be nothing left if there was anything in the first place. Unless you are sure there would be a substantial estate this may cost more to find him then you will ever collect.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I entitled to my fathers estate if I don't have his last name. [ 15 Answers ]

He's not on my birth certificate but was always in my life.

Executor of my fathers estate won't answer email questions regarding the estate Help [ 4 Answers ]

The executor of the estate will not return my email questions regarding the estate. Can I contact an attorney? I have sent 5 emails requesting information regarding the timeshare I am suppose to get. I told her if it was appraised too high I did not want. That was 4 months ago. Now she just ignores...

Making A Claim against recently deceased fathers' estate [ 1 Answers ]

I am one of three sisters whose father left us in 1960, and he remarried in the 1970's. He was only in contact with our eldest sister, until dementia made it impossible for her to continue contact. We were told that he had died on 17 August this year, and that he had been cremated with no funeral...

How to claim fathers from fathers neglegence in child support after 20 years [ 2 Answers ]

I was born in georgetown dad departed yo canada since I was a 4 year old kid,I suffered since because dad never sent one sent to my grandma (his mom to support me)AS A RESULT I WAS PHYSICALLY,PHYCHOLOGICALLY,SEXUALLY AND MORE,abused as a result of dads absence and lck of responsabliity as...

Do I have a claim to my bio-fathers estate? [ 11 Answers ]

I am age 60. I live in CA. I have a half brother who also lives in CA, we share the same Bio. Father but not the same mother. I found out about my half brother about ten years ago when our father past away. I never knew our father as he and my mother divorced at my age 5. Our father never called...

View more questions Search