Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !

    How can adopt my wife's son (my step son)

    Asked Nov 13, 2007, 08:08 PM 3 Answers
    My wife's ex husband doesn't really take care of his son. He doesn't call or anything. The only thing that we get is approximately $45 every 2-3 weeks but that amount varies. I on the other hand have been providing everything for my wife's son even before we got married since her son was about 3 months old. Ever since I have provided food clothing well everything from dippers to health care and the only thing his bio father provides is gas money because that's the only thing $45 every other week is good for. The relationship between me and my wife's son is the same as a father and son relation. So my question is, I am a marine stationed in ca and his bio father is in Pennsylvania I have provided everything for my step son and his bio father doesn't even call, how do I go about to adopt him and change his last name to mine? And what would happen if he does not agree to it? What would I have to do?

    Last edited by dddm; Nov 13, 2007 at 10:52 PM.
    Search this Question
    Share |
    3 Answers
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 80,989, Reputation: 7672

    Nov 13, 2007, 09:42 PM

    Hire an attoreny, petition for this in court, the biological father will have to sign to give up his rights and agree to it.
    macksmom's Avatar
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

    Nov 14, 2007, 05:59 AM
    To change the child's last name, the bio father would have to consent... this can be done without you adopting the child.

    To adopt the child, the bio father must reliquish his parental rights to you to allow for the adoption. You are not going to be able to file abandonment on him because regardless of how little the amount is, he sends child support somewhat regularly... in the courts eyes, that is a form of "involvement".
    If the bio father refuses to reliquish his parental rights, the mother could petition to have his rights terminated. But it will be an uphill battle all the way if the biofather fights this. In the end, it will be up to the judge.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,972, Reputation: 6054
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Nov 14, 2007, 07:59 AM

    Get an attorney and file for adoption. The attorney will handle the bio father's relinquishment of rights. Since your adopting the child will relieve him of having to pay child support (even the pittance he's paying), I doubt if there will be a problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can my husband adopt my son [ 3 Answers ]

I got married in February of 2006. My son was born in June of 2005. The biological father is not in the picture and I would like to know how my husband can adopt my son. We have been looking into him adopting my son since we got married and we haven't been able to find out any information. The...

How can my husband adopt my son? [ 15 Answers ]

Ok I had my son 8 years ago and the father was never in the picture and NEVER signed the birth certificate. I want my husband, who I have been with for 6 years to adopt him.How do I go about doing that? Does my sons biological father have any rights?

Can my father adopt my son? [ 13 Answers ]

My 4 month old son's father is not involved or interested in him. I have contacted him numerous times throughout my pregnancy and since my son's birth. He is not listed on the birth certificate. Can my father adopt him? My son is his namesake and he is a very involved part of our lives and I feel...

My step son wants me to adopt him how do I go about it [ 11 Answers ]

I have been married to my husband for 8 years, and I have been raising his son as my own ever since! His mother has not been an active part of his life she lives in another country with her new husband, changed her religion and way of life for him to muslim (we are catholic) who is in the...

Husband wants to adopt step-son [ 6 Answers ]

My son is 5 years old and his biological father is in jail and has been since I was 6 months pregnant. My new husband came into our lives when he was 10 months old and has since been his only father. Well after many years of discussing it we have decided for him to adopt him and my son legally be...

View more questions Search