Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    susanmarie's Avatar
    susanmarie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Oct 8, 2006, 11:46 AM
    Going back to collect maintenance for my grown child
    Hi, I was wondering how I would go about to collect child support over the years for my now 27 year old daughter. Her dad has always told her that when she ever needed help that he would help her. Well I should have known better. When I left him she was 2 years old and she went to visit every summer. He told me that he couldn't afford child support so me being nice just said then when she needs it one day to help her it was agreed. The reason he didn't have money to pay is he liked to drink and party rather than look after his responsibilities.He has worked on the rigs his whole life in the last years has started his own company which pulls in 40 to 50 grand a month. He defnately can pay now. All that he owes her she put up with a lot from him. She didn't even get to ask him for $500 and he told her he couldn't do it after he just finished telling her that he had so much money he didn't know what to spend it on. As well as just telling her of all the fancy things he had just bought.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Oct 8, 2006, 01:24 PM
    You need to consult an attorney knowledgeable about family law. You don't say whether he was subject to a court ordered support payment.If he was, then you may be able to sue him for the unpaid portions. But my feeling is that you won't be able to. If you received public assistance because he didn't pay, you might get the govt to go after him for reimbursement.
    s_cianci's Avatar
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

    Oct 8, 2006, 07:45 PM
    If an order for child support was never established it's highly unlikely that you'll be able to get one established now that she's 27. It'd be one thing if there had been an order in place and he was just refusing to comply with the order ; then you'd probably be able to collect arrearages for most of the years for which he didn't pay. But since you didn't pursue it when she was a minor, you're just going to have to write it off now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grown daughter [ 31 Answers ]

I have a grown married daughter who left the country 2 years ago. She seems to have become very distant since she and her husband started their family. Our telephone conversations are fine, but our visits are stressful. I think she feels that she has to prove to her husband that she is strong and...

Back-Payed Child Support [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am 20 years old (male), and I am NOT attending college at this time. My interest is in collecting back-payed child support from my biological father who, instead of staying around for my life, decided to leave the state and flee when he found out that my mother was pregnant with me. ...

Collection Agency-Sttatue of limitation to collect deb [ 13 Answers ]

I have been contacted by Nordon Collections on a debt from May 2003 In which they advise I owe $9,467.00 due to a car loan after they sold The vehicle on a repo they advised I owe this amount and will take Me to Superior court If I don't pay it today and garnishee my wages. I advised them I do...

Back Child Support /taxes [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: hello i'm a mother of 4 children i have 3 from my 1st marriage all my childern r grown up my problem lies in child support i had to receive food stamps and helth benefits through ill state aid. They have received all there money back from my ex he still owes me 12,000.00 dollars he has...

View more questions Search