Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    blackdragon17200's Avatar
    blackdragon17200 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Dec 23, 2006, 09:16 AM
    Give up my parental rights
    Hi my name is paul and I have a problem. Me and my ex girlfriend have a son together. My son will be 2 years old dec. 27 and I have not seen him since he was 8 months old. The mother has taken me for child support. I never received a court notice to go to court so it ended up in a default judgement against me. The mother will not let me see my son but is still expecting me to pay child support. She will not get out and find a job and expects me to pay for her bills each month. Is there any way I can give up my parental rights to her new boyfriend or will I have to pay child support no matter what?
    J_9's Avatar
    J_9 Posts: 40,293, Reputation: 5645

    Dec 23, 2006, 09:37 AM
    Giving up your rights will only give up your rights to make decisions regarding the child. It will not remove you from financial responsibility. Have you not considered going back to court to seek visitation and force her to get a job?
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,304, Reputation: 7692

    Dec 23, 2006, 12:53 PM
    Giving up your rights, is not giving up your obligations, and until she marrieds and the new husband wants to adopt the child you will be paying child support,

    If it was just as easy as "giving up rights" why do you think men are sitting in jail today for not paying child support.

    Next you don't have to pay any of her bills, except to pay the exact amount that the court orders for child support.

    And for her to get a ruling there had to be a hearing and you would have had to be notified, someone would have hat to serve you with legal paper work.

    If this did not happen, you can appeal to the court and have a new hearing, you still have to pay her child support but you may get it less, it sill normally be based off your earnings. According to state rules.

    Next yes you have the right to visit, at the same time child support was ordered, you should have gotten visitation rights also.

    So go back to court and get court ordered visitation.
    s_cianci's Avatar
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

    Dec 24, 2006, 09:21 PM
    You'll have to pay child support no matter what, unless someone legally adopts the child.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search