Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    TTLT03's Avatar
    TTLT03 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2
    New Member

    Jul 6, 2007, 07:59 PM
    Father's rights
    My daughter gave birth to my beautiful grandson 9 months ago. Although she is only 19, she has a good job in a corporate structure and is really doing well. She is a wonderful mother. My question: The father has not been involved since she was two months into her pregnancy. He is aware of where we live but has not tried to contact her until now. We came home to find a note on our sidewalk advising that he is aware that he has a son and to please contact him. My daughter does not want to have him involved in her son's life as he lives in a rough neigbhorhood and lives with his brother and girlfriend who are heavily involved in drugs and are themselves neglectful parents to their young son.

    Since she did not list him on the birth certificate, what rights does he have if any? Is there a way to prevent him from having access to the baby due to the bad environment that he would be exposed to if he were allowed to be involved in his life?
    mango7777's Avatar
    mango7777 Posts: 28, Reputation: 5
    New Member

    Jul 6, 2007, 10:04 PM
    Wow.. I can totally see the alarm for the mother and yourself. I really recommend an "Attorney Referral Program" in your area. Most cities and Counties have such funding. Where I live, the County provides an Attorney Referral Program -cheap. You can look up in the phone book or call Information (411) for assistance.

    The program is basic but gets you in the direction you want. They screen you on the phone first in order to get the best possible Attorney for your needs. Once they get the pertinent information, they give it to the best suited Attorney FOR YOU. They call you up and tell you (depending on the area you live) who, what, where, when, why and how to meet your assigned Attorney.

    The appointment is approx. 30 minutes. But its best to jot all the questions you have, your concerns, etc, first.. so when you go for the appointment, you use all of your time-based on your needs.

    The fee, for me was $30.00, but varies I'm sure depending in the area you live. But it is usually towards the advantage of the seeker-client.

    If anything, it relieves the anxiety that one has in these situations. I highly recommend doing that first.

    Because you can ask and ask, and get no where. Legal answers, which you need for this situation, is best sought through Counsel. Best of Luck
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Jul 7, 2007, 05:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TTLT03
    Since she did not list him on the birth certificate, what rights does he have if any?
    He has the same rights as ANY father. The birth certificate is just a piece of paper. As long as he can prove paternity (via DNA test) then he has full parental rights.

    Quote Originally Posted by TTLT03
    Is there a way to prevent him from having access to the baby due to the bad environment that he would be exposed to if he were allowed to be involved in his life?
    Based on what you have said, I would said no. You may be able to limit his access to supervised visits or visits at your daughter's home or a neutral location.

    You need to consult an attorney!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Father's rights [ 1 Answers ]

MY daughter was born in Tennessee and we then moved to SC and was there less than a year. My girlfriend up and left and took the baby back to GA to her parents. We were never married but I am on the birth certificate as the father. Also, I had a DNA test done and the baby is mine. My ex...

Father's Rights [ 2 Answers ]

I fled the state of Florida due to a horrible break up between my daughter's father and myself. We were living together and the he was extremely emotional abusive and it had gotten physical before. One day I left and never went back. Now he is threatening me with the law and saying he is going to...

Father's Rights [ 1 Answers ]

My best friend just had a baby, and now the father of the baby is taking her to court for custody (he is threatening to at least). My friend and the baby's father were never married, but he signed the birth certificate. My friend does not want to let him take the baby because he is an alcoholic,...

Father's Rights? [ 7 Answers ]

Does a father have any right if a woman wants to have an unplanned pregancy? Can she demand anything from him if he does not want to participate?

Father's rights [ 8 Answers ]

I have a five year old daughter. Her father was a registered sex offender (I did not know)and left for AK when she was born. I made it clear I wanted nothing to do with him. I have not seen or heard from him in over four years. He knew about his daughter but to my knolwledge has never tried to find...

View more questions Search