Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Dossha's Avatar
    Dossha Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jun 20, 2007, 11:48 AM
    Father's name not on birth certificate
    If a Father's name is not on a birth certificate what rights does he have?
    s2tp's Avatar
    s2tp Posts: 299, Reputation: 61
    Full Member

    Jun 20, 2007, 11:54 AM
    I am not positive, but I am pretty certain he can order a paternity test and if the child is proven as his then he has just as much rights as the mother- whether he is on the birth certificate or not...

    Hopefully someone else will have more knowledge on this topic and be able to confirm or deny my guess.
    LadyB's Avatar
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42
    Full Member

    Jun 20, 2007, 12:26 PM
    Good guess s2tp! That's pretty much the way of it.

    If he acknowledges paternity and asserts his rights he has the same rights as any father. The birth cert is only one way to acknowledge paternity-there are other ways on most states- and he can sue for visitation, etc and get a DNA test ordered as well if you do not accept his acknowledgment or if you contest his paternity. Of course if he acknowledges paternity and asserts his rights he will accept the responsibilities as well, meaning he would be ordered to pay child support.
    nya's Avatar
    nya Posts: 55, Reputation: 8
    Junior Member

    Jun 20, 2007, 06:48 PM

    If a father's name is not listed on a birth certificate he has no rights at all. There are several ways to establish paternity and I will tell you based on the state I live in which is Florida. The mother can go to her local child support office and request DNA services and request child support. The father can walk into the child support office and request DNA services and request to put himself on child support. The mother or father can file a paternity case in family court and request DNA testing/child support/visitation. The mother and father can sign a form we have here called a DH432 which is a form that provides the mother and child's information and the father signs his information, the father agrees that he's acknowledging paternity by signing this form. The form is notarized and sent to the office of vital statistics to be recorded in the state records. I hope I have helped you. Paternity laws differ state to state but if you contact your local child support office, they should be able to assist you with your state laws regarding paternity issues. (Things can change if you were married to someone else when you conceived or gave birth to the child).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding father's name to birth certificate [ 10 Answers ]

What's the process for adding a name to a birth certificate years after the child is born?

Father's name on birth certificate [ 7 Answers ]

If the parents are unmarried, does the father need to be present for the mother to put his name on the birth certificate?:confused: :confused:

Removing father's name from birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

When my daughter was born the guy I was seeing at the time and the man that I thought was her father signed the birth certificate, shortly thereafter we have found out he is in fact not her father and I am wanting his name removed from the birth certificate and her last name changed. How do I go...

Father's Name Is Not On The Child's Birth Certificate [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, if the father's name is not on the birth cerficate, does he have full rights of the child. If I decided to put child(s) in foster care,does he have to sign an agreement as well since his name is not on the birth certificate(s)? Thanks For responses

Getting father's name on the birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I have a daughter that was born in Japan on a military base (we are both US citizens). Her father lives in the states. He was not present at birth and the legal office here said he could not be on her official birth certificate since he wasn't here and we're not married. We have been trying to...

View more questions Search