Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    randa50's Avatar
    randa50 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 26, 2007, 11:15 PM
    Emancipation at 16
    My name is Miranda and I am 16 years old from Rapid City, South Dakota. I've lived between 3 family members (mom, dad, and aunt) throughout my entire life. I mentally and emotionally can not deal with my family anymore. I was wondering if I could become emancipated without either of my parents concent.
    I am currently living under my mothers roof, but she doesn't have legal, documented guardianship of me. My dad allowed me to move in with my mother under the circumstance of her not getting on him for child support. I have barely had any contact with my father, he doesn't call and I quit calling him. I've seen him once or twice since June/July.
    So again, my question is: Can I get emancipated from BOTH of my parents, without their concent?
    mlbonly's Avatar
    mlbonly Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 8, 2007, 08:48 AM
    I'm not trying to help you but I'm in the same prediciment. My mother and father got divorced anbout 3 years ago and since then I've been on and off with her and other family. My mother is going to court because she is a child abuser and I will be going into state coustatdy unless I figure out another plan. So yeah, I know what your going through. If you get any information... please sent it my way and I'll do the same for you. Oh, by the way my name is Myranda
    mlbonly's Avatar
    mlbonly Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 8, 2007, 08:57 AM
    It's Myranda again I have this web site that I think might help you... it sure helped me. <> There you go Later.
    excon's Avatar
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

    Mar 8, 2007, 10:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by randa50
    So again, my question is: Can I get emancipated from BOTH of my parents, without their concent?
    Hello randa:

    You left off the most important part. You need to be able to support yourself. If you can't do that, the court won't emancipate you.


    PS> Same goes for the other girl.
    J_9's Avatar
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646

    Mar 8, 2007, 10:54 AM
    For emancipation to work, you must have a job and be able to support yourself. That does not ONLY mean a job, but you must be able to have your own place to live and prove to the court that you are able to take care of yourself entirely, with no one else's help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need some emancipation... [ 4 Answers ]

My cousin wants to get out of her house (one way or another), and live with her dad. Of course, her parents are divorced. So, should she emancipate or get her dad to go to court? Also, she's 14, soon to turn 15 in July. She says she wants to get out as soon as possible. We live in Georgia, and I'm...

Emancipation [ 4 Answers ]

OK I'm going to be 16 in like 8 months I haven't lived with my parents for the past 2 years. I have been living with my grandparents. Im not at their house very much I pretty much only sleep and shower here. So would it be easy for me to get the courts to emancipate me when I turn 16?I have a job...

Emancipation [ 3 Answers ]

Daughter is 20 years old. We still pay child support to her mother. She is in college. Full time student. We furnish car, insurance, clothes, tuition, spending money EVERYTHING for her. She lives on campus and attends school during summer. We will continue to pay for school etc. When can we...

Emancipation [ 2 Answers ]

How old does a minor have to be in the state of Indiana to emancipate themselves?

Emancipation [ 4 Answers ]

I need help my best friends want away from there parents and their under 18 I want to take them but we don't know how 2 do it... help me!

View more questions Search