Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    rpetrocell's Avatar
    rpetrocell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jun 28, 2009, 07:19 PM
    Elderly woman living in a nursing home and is coming into money
    My friends mother is in her 80's living in a nursing home. The mother got hurt and needed an operation because of neglect from the nursing home. My friend sued and now the case is coming up. My friend thinks she 's coming into a lot of money. In a case like this who actually gets the money? Doesn't any lump sums from an lawsuit has to get paid back to sociol security? Why would my friend get any money-the mother doesn't live with her---the mother is broke and solely gets all her money from the government. My friend has power of attorney for the mother
    stinawords's Avatar
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

    Jun 28, 2009, 07:29 PM

    The money would go to the mother. However, if the daughter has POA then she can basically spend the money as she sees fit (so long as it has to go along with the benefit of the mother). Therefore, the money could go toward paying the medical bills, or her room at the new nursing home, etc. etc.
    letmetellu's Avatar
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

    Jun 28, 2009, 07:31 PM

    Some old people are in homes under the Medicare policy and that is determined by the state as to who is qualified or not. But I feel that she will owe the money to whomever has being paying her up keep. Either that or she will now have to pay her own way as far as it will go.

    Who ever is her care taker should contact some kind of legal advice giver.
    N0help4u's Avatar
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

    Jun 28, 2009, 08:07 PM

    The only way she would benefit from any of the money is in her will AFTER everything/everyone else is paid off. Nursing homes, government, etc...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax on money coming from parents living abroad [ 4 Answers ]

I live in US and my parents live abroad. They want to help me pay what’s left of my home loan here in US. Do I need to pay taxes on the money coming from them? If yes, what can be done to minimize the tax I have to pay? Thank you, Cuptor

Credit Card debt elderly retired mom dad in nursing home [ 2 Answers ]

My dad is about to enter a nursing home with the assistance of medicaid. My mom will be seeling her house and has some equity in her house, but that is all she has, other than her fixed income check, to survive until it is her time to enter the retirement home. SHe is only 62. They have a line of...

New Baby coming Home! - Should I repaint my living room? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my baby boy is coming home in May and my living room is already painted. I need to paint the rest of the rooms so I am using natura paint by benjamin moore. However the living room I'm a bit concern about. I don't want to sound tooo crazy about it, but I need to paint anyway so if it helps I...

Elderly Woman in Debt [ 1 Answers ]

My 75 year old mother is about $10,000 in debt with credit cards. She lives in Nevada and is getting different answers when trying to find out if she can or should file bankruptcy. I live 1000 miles away and am not able to help financially. One clerk from the court told her that the collectors...

Elderly woman in trouble... [ 1 Answers ]

My friend's elderly neighbor in Arkansas recently received notice that she will be evicted in 30 days. The reason is because the person she was renting from failed to pay on his mortgage. Is there anything she can do to remain in the house? Thank you in advance for your assistance.

View more questions Search