Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    kaylog's Avatar
    kaylog Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 6, 2012, 10:02 AM
    Does father need to pay rent for my son, when I'm living on my own
    Hi there

    I am Kayla from South Africa

    My baby's dad and I have not been together since we found out I was pregnant, he is active in my sons life, and does get him every 2nd weekend for visitations and stay overs-as I have allowed him to do so.

    I am still living with my parents at the moment but would like to get on my own feet and move out soon, what is the responsibility of the father towards my son in this decision. Would he need to pay rent as my son lives in 50% of my home? Or how would the maintenance need to be altered according to the situation.

    Pleas assist me as soon as possible, as I like to have the legal facts available to confront the Father with, so he knows I'm not making it up.
    d.hayes89's Avatar
    d.hayes89 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 25, 2012, 09:35 PM
    Does he pay child support? I am not real certain how the laws are over there,but when the father pays child support it is to help the child (pay rent, buy food,clothes,etc) but he does not pay half your rent unless the money amount is great enough. The courts will set an amount depe.ding on your countries regulations for child support.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Feb 26, 2012, 07:56 AM
    You should be filing for child support payments from him to help you live on your own. He doesn't pay for specific expenses, just a support payment that you use to help raise your child.
    cdad's Avatar
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

    Feb 26, 2012, 10:37 AM
    You apply for support through your local magistrate. From there it is up to the both of you to decide how much is a fair level of support. If you can't agree it continues on to a hearing where support is then decided for the both of you.


    Child Support Laws in South Africa |

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is children's father liable to pay rent for his children if he kicks the mother out? [ 7 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been living together for 8 years. We have never been married. We have 3 children together.He owns the house we live in (in TN).He now wants to kick me out.The children are coming with me.I am currently trying to get disability and have no income. Would he be liable to pay...

Son-in-law is living in my home, not paying anything, am I required to pay utilities? [ 4 Answers ]

Son in law living in my home, daughter not there and I don't live there - am I required to continue paying the utilities until he leaves? He has never paid rent or any of the utilities and isn't under any kind of lease.

Unemployed girlfriend living in my home with son do I need to pay child support? [ 4 Answers ]

My girlfriend of eight years and my son live in my home (my son is two). Three months ago she tells me she wants out of the relationship. I tell she's free to go but she won't leave. She is a stay at home mom and does not have the economic ability to leave. To months go by and I'm sleeping in a...

My son hates living with his father [ 3 Answers ]

I am a mother who gave consent to letting my ex have custody of our son. He has pushed me for years for custody and put so much pressure on our son to go and live with him that it started to break my household apart. I am remarried with 3 other children and the stress and fighting between my son...

Son won't pay rent [ 2 Answers ]

I live in canada and my 22 year old son has been living here rent free for years. I have asked him to pay rent which he refuses. His father thinks I am crazy and wll not even begin to believe the issues that I deal with on a daily basis. My son has damaged my home by punching walls, throwing items,...

View more questions Search