Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    roma's Avatar
    roma Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    May 25, 2006, 05:24 AM
    Disposition of Foreign Property from Divorce
    I would like to know the tax & legal implications for the following situation:
    1)I am a US Citizen with residence in Italy
    2)I am the sole-titled property owner of a piece of Italian real-estate
    3)This property was granted to my ex-husband in a US Divorce over 1 year ago (3/05)
    4)Under the direction of the divorce decree, the property must transfer from my name to my ex-husband's name and then he can handle the property as he sees fit - he intends to sell the property
    5)My ex-husband is now asking the judge to force me to grant my Power of Attorney for the sale of the property (i.e. the property would be sold with my name on the title)
    During the divorce proceedings, I specifically requested that the property be transferred to my ex-husband's name so that I would not be responsible for US capital gains tax. FYI - there will be no capital gains tax in Italy on the property sale. The profits would not be reinvested in foreign property but would be repatriated to my ex-husband.

    It is my understanding, from the IRS, that I would be liable to report the gains and for the capital gains tax on this property if I have to grant my POA to my ex-husband.

    Can a judge force me to grant a POA to my ex-spouse for this transaction? My ex-husband is requesting the POA to also avoid title transfer charges in Italy (Italy does not have "quit claim deeds" without a formal title transfer procedure) - but isn't that something that my ex-spouse should have investigated prior to the final divorce decree?

    My ex-husband says he will pay the expenses - but I can not risk filing and reporting the capital gains and then "collecting the taxes" from my ex-spouse... This property was a rental property so the tax consequence is, I believe, quite significant.

    Thank you for your assistance.
    PHILLIP66's Avatar
    PHILLIP66 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Nov 1, 2010, 04:18 PM
    I am divorcing my husband and we have multiple foreign bank accounts. How can i be assured that i can receive my half?
    AK lawyer's Avatar
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977

    Nov 1, 2010, 04:31 PM
    New post in old thread. Someone please fix this.

    Phillip, I don't really understand what you are asking. If the court awards you some or all of a foreign account, it should also order your ex to sign the appropriate paperwork to transfer the funds to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

J1 - Foreign Intern [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I started a professional training program in the US last year and it will go on until end of November. My employer gave me a 1099-MISC form but so far I don't know what I have to do. I am beginning to worry as the deadline arrives. What form do I have to fill, what mistakes can I...

Inheriting Foreign Property [ 3 Answers ]

My question involves taxation on inherited property abroad. My grandfather, a non-US national, left me a house in India several years ago. I sold the house many years later, presumably for a gain from what the house was worth at the time of death. The proceeds were invested in a tax-free...

Foreign Tax Credit [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm a GC holder and I lived in 2005 in the US but I got a small amount of wages and interest from a foreign country. I paid taxes on the foreign interest. It seems to be very difficult to fill out necessary forms. I don't know if I need to file the form 1116 to claim the foreign tax...

Property taxes/lien on property [ 2 Answers ]

We have been taking care of the rental properties across the street from us for many years as the landlord lives in Arkansas. We have never been paid for these services. We repair and maintain these properties, and the last tenants we even collected the rent and deposited into the landlordís...

Foreign accounts [ 1 Answers ]

I do not understand the purpose of form 90-22.1 (foreign accounts). It says to report foreign accounts if their aggregate value is >$10,000 .( I have a GC, so I have to report my worldwide income ). But, in Schedule B for form 1040, one just mentions " yes, I do have a foreign bank account in a...

View more questions Search