Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    thedarside's Avatar
    thedarside Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 7, 2008, 06:07 PM
    Daughter at 16 received traumatic brain injury, needs a guardian, she is now 21.
    I am speaking in behalf of my daughter who lives in NC at the present. She is moving back to Idaho in July. Mainly for my granddaughters welfare.

    Five years ago Jennifer received a traumatic brain injury in Wasilla Alaska, in an automobile accident. Jennifer is doing reasonably fine but in no way can she reason or rationalize simple problems. She is now 21 and with her mother. They are moving back to Idaho to be close to me, to help in her care and welfare.

    She draws SSI monthly and we have a state program that would pay her mother to care for her.

    Jennifer has an obsession to go back to Alaska and be with the kids she started running around with. They drink and do drugs and I am beside myself of trying to get her to reason with us, with everything short of applying for custody. This is all the aurgument the family has left and it is not working. So we feel the only way to protect her is legally. She is getting calls constantly from one of these friends who does not understand the seriousness of Jennifer's present condition.

    Can you guide us through what we need to do and also in a way that is not financially overwhelming as we do not have a lot. Is there a way to do this without it being to costly and could you give us some prices of what we would be looking at?

    Last but not least, if we can get guardianship in N Carolina, would it also be applicable in the state of Idaho?

    Darlene Steward
    Weiser Idaho
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692

    Apr 7, 2008, 06:26 PM
    Guardianship is guardianship, so if your court has the authority to hear the motion ( enough time of residence) then it is valid anywhere in the US.

    But since obviously she is not going to agree, you will need an attorney and have to prove she is not capable of making her own choices and not capable of taking care of herself.

    So you will need to start with an attorney who has experience in this

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Guardian angels [ 12 Answers ]

I heard that you can sometimes see your guardian angel while you sleep if you say some words before you go to sleep, I was wondering: what are these words, and does it work?

Legal guardian! [ 2 Answers ]

I have a very important qeustion!! I have a younger sister who lives with our legal mother, but she is having an extremely tough time! But does very well with me and my husband. Is it legal for us to take her and be her legal gardians, is there some kind of form we have to fill out would we be able...

Post traumatic stress disorder/manic depression [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone and a very special hello and thank you to Janine S J_9: I cannot find out how to say thank you to personaly on this communications profile but well done to all any way I am looking for a definitive description or opinion on post traumatic stress disorder civil/domestic/personal &...

Guardian Angels [ 5 Answers ]

I would love to be able to 'hear' my guardian angels. Sometimes I think I do hear them but then I'm not sure if its them or just my mind. How do you know when your guardian angel is talking to you?

Guardian angels [ 2 Answers ]

What are Guardian angels and who is mine?

View more questions Search