Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    pickles99's Avatar
    pickles99 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    May 15, 2012, 08:24 PM
    Custody of nephew
    My husband and I would like to get custody of our great nephew. My niece was shot and killed by the children's father. He is a person of interest in the investigation but has not yet been arrested. He has since gave custody of their child to his sister and our family has been allowed no contact since my niece's death. We want the child to be with her family not the family of the man that murdered her. We have no idea where to begin?
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    May 16, 2012, 03:43 AM
    You have an uphill battle here. Until and unless he's convicted for the murder he is the father. He can give temporary guardianship to whoever he wants. Unless you can prove the situation is detrimental to the nephew's health, I'm not sure a court will take action.

    The first step would be to consult a local attorney who can advise on your chances.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Custody of nephew [ 7 Answers ]

I have to ask, if my sister and her boyfriend are showing neglect (not deliberate) I just think they are not fit to be parents to my nephew of just over 3mnths. They can't feed him right, don't stimulate him, and yesterday I was told he'd rolled of a changing table 3ft off the floor. Social...

How to get custody of my nephew [ 4 Answers ]

My brother and his girlfriend are not good parents and well they should have never had a kid . Well my nephew is 5 years old and I spend most my time with him . His mother is reading most the time or doing something and well my brother is on a game almost all day and night . I might be a kid...

How to get custody of my nephew [ 3 Answers ]

My sister is ill and her boyfriend, the father, is not a well suited father and his very choices he makes in his life make him unsuited.For instance, he is a drug abuser. My sister knows that I am going to try and get custody but her boyfriend, the father, does not. How can I get custody of my...

How to get custody of my nephew [ 0 Answers ]

My wife has left me and moved to another state. I have lived in the home we just bought since she left and has paid all payments myself the past year now she is wanting to come back and take the house from me. Can she do that in the state of NC? She made no payments and we have no kids she just got...

Custody of my nephew [ 1 Answers ]

18 months ago social services took my nephew at birth and placed him with us he has been with us ever since social services applied for a permanent order however they just lost in court and we had to return him to his biological mother who had already lost six other children permanently totally...

View more questions Search