Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Arbmom's Avatar
    Arbmom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Nov 29, 2007, 03:17 PM
    Custody of my nephew
    My nephew and my sister in-law live with my husband and I and she is very neglectful with a record. His father also neglects him also with a record. Both currently are abusing drugs and alcohol. How do I file for custody and not have him put in foster care until the dust settles? Both parents will fight us on this. They both are in denial that they care more about themselves and their life style than their son.
    simoneaugie's Avatar
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

    Nov 30, 2007, 05:44 AM
    I suppose that if they were both arrested at the same time for being drunk and disorderly it might give you an edge.
    Foxy459459's Avatar
    Foxy459459 Posts: 368, Reputation: 36
    Full Member

    Nov 30, 2007, 07:40 AM
    What is on there record? How old is the child? Are they living with you right now? What state do u live in?
    Arbmom's Avatar
    Arbmom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Dec 2, 2007, 04:07 PM
    Florida. Yes my nephew and his mother are both living with us. He is 10. I don't know if you picked up on it but my brother married my husband's sister and they are the child's parents. Which makes this even muddier water we are jumping in.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Dec 2, 2007, 04:20 PM
    Your best bet is to consult a family court attorney or the local child services agency. If the point is to get custody away from the mother and she lives with you that's not going to help much.
    Foxy459459's Avatar
    Foxy459459 Posts: 368, Reputation: 36
    Full Member

    Dec 3, 2007, 06:58 AM
    You are in a sticky situation because the parents live with you. Do you guys get along at all? Is there anyway you can talk to them, and explain what they are doing to there child? What kind of drugs are they into? Because if they are into drugs and doing drugs in your house that's not a good thing at all! Do you and your husbond have any children?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am 18, my nephew is in foster care can I get custody of him? [ 8 Answers ]

My name is Bobbie Jo and I am deaf myself. I had adorable nephew who came to the world march 16,2007 he now is 3 months old and he's in foster home. There are so many special things about him. He is deaf in one ear and hearing in other ear, he changed my life. Everyday I wake up and I wish I could...

CHILD CUSTODY ( niece and nephew ) [ 3 Answers ]

I have a niece and a nephew. I had custody of them and let the grandmother have them because she had the oldest sister. Now I find out she is abuseing the children and the oldest who is 15 is pregrant. I want the kids back. What is the chances of getting them back? I live in Alabama ( the children...

Custody of ny niece and nephew [ 1 Answers ]

My younger sister asked me to help her out for a week or two by taking her son(2yrs) and her daughter(7mo.), its has been a little over a month but it seems as if my sister does not want to take responsibility of her children, which is not a problem for me because I would love to have them with me,...

Getting custody of my niece and nephew [ 1 Answers ]

My niece and nephew are currently living with my brother. Their mother left them with him over 4 years ago with not so much as a phone call since. My brother has since gone to court and had her rights terminated. She did nothing to contest this. My brother's physical and mental health is failing...

Custody of my nephew [ 2 Answers ]

I am wanting to have guardianship of my nephew who is being negleted. How do I go about it legally? What are some of my obstacles? Please give me some help.

View more questions Search