Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    dianacarter_348's Avatar
    dianacarter_348 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 29, 2008, 11:31 AM
    My child wants to change her last name
    My daughter is 17 and her biological father has not been in her life for at least 8 years. She wants to change her last name to my current husbands last name, he is the only father she has ever really had. She wants to change her name before she graduates or gets her licence. I don't have much money so going blindly into lawyers offices is out of the question. She has been a wonderful child and this is the only thing she has really asked for. Is there anyone out there that can help us. Thank You
    George_1950's Avatar
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

    Jan 29, 2008, 12:22 PM
    Most likely, you will have to file a petition in the proper court to change your daughter's last name. Her father is entitiled to notice (service).
    macksmom's Avatar
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

    Jan 30, 2008, 01:43 PM
    The biological father would have to consent to allow for the name change. But given the age of your child, the judge may (and should) take into consideration her wishes, along with the fact that she is almost an adult (18).

    I know you said you can't really afford an attorney... but in all court matters, it is best if you figure out a way to hire one. You could start calling around and getting free consultations and see what they tell you. You could also visit your court house, and court library and start doing some intensive research to file the forms yourself. But that leaves a lot of room for error... thus why it is better to have an attorney do the work for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child name change [ 2 Answers ]

How do I go about changing my kids last name to mine? Their father and ii were never married but he is on the birth certificate but no custody has been established. I have had them 24/7 and he barely sees them. They are 4 and 2.

Child name change [ 1 Answers ]

Never mind

Child custody change [ 2 Answers ]

How old does a child have to be to chose to live with a parent?

Change of surname of my child [ 6 Answers ]

I have a daughter and I didn't married her father. But I had my baby's surname after her father's. Now. Her father and I broke up because our relationship isn't really working. I would just like to ask the process of what do I need to do to change my baby's name after mine. What are the laws and...

Child has my maiden name can I change it to stepfathers? [ 5 Answers ]

My daughter has my maiden name, her father is not on her birthcertificate. Her father has been paying child support for about a year and a half but has not contacted us in over 7 years. Do I have to notify him to change her last name to her stepfathers, who has been her dad for her whole life. How...

View more questions Search