Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    helpmedad's Avatar
    helpmedad Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Nov 5, 2013, 02:30 PM
    Child support termination?
    I have been paying child support for my daughter (in New York)since her mother and I have separated when she was four. My daughter will be 21 on 8/28/14. My daughter has been "talking" of attending nursing school for the past 2 years but now is saying that she will finally be able to apply/attend in sept. 2014 AFTER she turns 21. My first question is: Will I be responsible to continue to pay child support after she is 21 if she is going to school full time even though she is now deciding to go to school full time after taking 3 years off after high school?
    Also, she just got a full time job AND moved out of her mothers house and is living with her boyfriend and another friend. I believe that one or both of these conditions will make her "emancipated" for early child support termination, corrrect?
    Any information on my specific case would be greatly appreciated since there are so many different variables that I see online. I just want to have all of my fact straight before my daughter turns 21 and do not want to overpay if I do not have to.

    thank you...
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,970, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Nov 5, 2013, 02:41 PM
    Unless your support agreement specifies that support must continue until she finishes college, then it should stop when she reaches 21. You can actually make a case to stop it now, since she is no longer living at home and, therefore not being supported by the custodial parent.

    Do you pay through an agency or directly to the mother?

    P.S. I assume you created this second account (and post) because you realized you had created an account closer to your real name. So I removed the first post.
    helpmedad's Avatar
    helpmedad Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Nov 5, 2013, 03:08 PM
    There is nothing in the court order stating a termination date. You are correct in assuming to delete my first post because of the name also so thank you for deleting it.
    My daughters mother is extremely good at "working the system". So she will do whatever she can to keep receiving support since she has not had a job in 6 years... My support gets directly taken out of my check and sent to her from the state of ny. Conveniently, my daughters name is not on the lease of her new apt. And also will be keeping some of her things at her mothers house. But with her having a full time job, I wanted to verify that that would consider her being emancipated?
    I am more concerned with paying after 21 though... If there is a way that my ex can still get payments, she will do so. I just want to make sure that I will be 100% done paying when she turns 21.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,970, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Nov 5, 2013, 05:37 PM
    You need to talk to the agency collecting your payments as to what you need to do to get payments stopped when she turns 21.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support termination ny [ 1 Answers ]

Iam a noncustodial parent whose child has turned 18 and has come to live with me by choice. He has stated that he does not want to live with his other parent. CanI have the support order terminated

Termination of Child Support [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know, when my daughter turns 18 and she is finished with high school and I don't owe any back child support, can the child support be terminated when she turns 18? Or, do I have to continue to pay child support while she is in college, if she goes.

Child support termination [ 15 Answers ]

Hi. My stepson just turned 18. The child support ordered is being terminated because his mom did not turn in proper documentation that he is in school. We have just been told that if she now turns in proper documents my husband will owe back support. Is this correct? He was told the best thing to...

Termination of child support [ 10 Answers ]

I have 3 children. One is 21 and in the Air Force, one is 18 and just graduated high school, and the youngest is 17 and will graduate next year. My ex wife contends that when suport was ordered, that it must remain in effect until ALL 3 graduate and or turn 18. My support was entered as 250 a...

Child support termination [ 6 Answers ]

In 1998 my ex-wife divorced me. I was never served with divorce papers but my signature appears on the service form. Obviously this was forged. In the divorce I have been ordered to pay child support. I found out about the divorce when I received a garnishment letter in the mail from the...

View more questions Search