Have you filed for support for your child with "him?"
Here is the child support calculator for California - California Child Support Calculator
GV is the expert here. In NY it's by Statute. The first child gets a percentage, the second child gets a lesser percentage, the third child less and so forth. Obviously if child support is being paid (in other States) for 1 child and not 2 there is more "disposable income" to use in determining a dollar amount of support for that one child.
I am reading that it stops in California:
Parent's obligation to pay child support continues until,
· the child becomes 18 years old, or
· the child has not graduated from high school, in which case the child support continues until the child has graduated high school or becomes 19, which ever occurs first, or
· the child is physically or mentally disabled, or
· the parents of the child have agreed that child support is to continue into the college years and such an agreement can be enforced by the Family Law Court, or
· the child has demonstrated freedom from parental control or support, and an ability to be self-supporting, a child that is on active military duty, or a child that becomes lawfully adopted by another party, or
· if there were arrears owed on child support, a court order may enforce collection of the arrears until the debt is paid in full, including any interest that may have accumulated, even after the child becomes 18 years old.