Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Jasmine27247's Avatar
    Jasmine27247 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 16, 2017, 03:01 PM
    Child support, no father
    If my baby has father last name and were not together (he moved out state) :) who gets to claim child for tax time? Btw My baby is four days old, what would be different if I changed his last name to mine? I don't think it would be right for the dad to when I take care of the baby. I have healthcare and stamps, I called to put my baby on healthcare and they wanted the dad so that child support can go after, he has kids already with his last name. I didn't ask for child support to be involved but would they stop my benefits and why?
    cdad's Avatar
    cdad Posts: 12,687, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

    Mar 16, 2017, 05:37 PM
    Yes they will stop your benefits if you fail to identify the father. The reason is so the tax payers get some relief and dont fit the entire bill for HIS baby.
    ma0641's Avatar
    ma0641 Posts: 15,681, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

    Mar 16, 2017, 10:59 PM
    You didn't ask for child support?? Why should WE pay for YOUR child's support... food stamps as you noted. Glad they are requiring that info.
    joypulv's Avatar
    joypulv Posts: 21,593, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

    Mar 17, 2017, 03:11 AM
    You claim a child on your taxes if he lives with you more than half the time. BUT you can't claim him until next year. You are filing for work you did last year.

    "My benefits?" If you are on Medicaid and food stamps, those are not benefits. That's welfare, money from people who aren't happy about all the deadbeat dads and the women who expect everyone to support them.

    You cannot change the birth certificate without formal permission from the father. The child can change his name when he is 18, if he wishes.
    J_9's Avatar
    J_9 Posts: 40,273, Reputation: 5644

    Mar 17, 2017, 06:27 AM
    You formally have 30 days after the birth to officially amend the birth certificate. However, that won't get you off the hook for welfare. You will still have to provide his name when applying. With that said, if he signed the Affidavit of Paternity, it is doubtful he will be removed from the birth certificate.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7691

    Mar 17, 2017, 07:48 PM
    The last name of the baby has no bearing on this at all. You don't live together, and I assume not married, If they baby is living with you, and you do all the support, then you get the tax deduction.

    The state requires that they can get money from the father, if they must pay you money in welfare for the child. This is normal and correct. Why should the state not be able to try and get some of the money they pay you back. And you should want to try and get support and not depend on government money
    AK lawyer's Avatar
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977

    Mar 25, 2017, 04:52 PM
    I don't see OP writing that the father is named on the BC. Usually, that cannot be done (in the case of an out-of-wedlock birth) without an affidavit of paternity signed by the father or an adjudication to that effect.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a nonbiological father receive child support from biological father [ 8 Answers ]

I have been raising my daughter 6 yrs and her brother 4 yrs. Since 2009 I say her brother because he is not biologically mine. The reason I have them is two things 1. I don't trust her judgement and 2. she works 10 to 12 hour shifts. I don't work because I receive SSI they go to their mothers on...

Can my sons father get out of child support, or back child support? [ 2 Answers ]

The paternity was established for my son at 6 months of age.. will the father have to pay the past 6 months?

Can a father of a child force child support on a mother that gave up the child willing [ 13 Answers ]

While my wife and I were split up she got pregnant ( while on the birth control implant). I myself am fixed ( we didn't want anymore kids) and we couldn't afford to have more kids if wanted them. We thought about giving the child up for adoption but it turns out the father wants the child. He...

If a costa rican father does not pay child support can he stop the child from moving [ 2 Answers ]

I am american and my fiancÚ is from costa rica. I want to get a fiancÚ visa for her and her 7 year old son. The father will not sign for the child to move out of costa rica. He does not pay child support at all. He does not care or see the child. I am willing to adopt the child once here in usa....

Child support from unwilling father, uninvolved father [ 26 Answers ]

I am currently pregnant with my first child. The father is not involved. What rights does the baby have to collect child support from him? Is it ethical to force financial child support, when he does not want to be involved? Yet, he has said that he will provide support. He says that and then...

View more questions Search